Author Topic: 3D Printed Microspringer  (Read 11826 times)

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
Re: 3D Printed Microspringer
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 16:12:50 »
Hi folks !

I managed to launch both my latest RC boats this past Sunday. And one of them of course was this Microspringer.

Microspringer on the pond -

Microspringer on the pond -

Here's a short video of the thing weezing around (and even doing some push work !).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ92AC9zggQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ92AC9zggQ</a>

ChrisE

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 07:15:54 »
Very impressive for such a small model. You seem to have avoided the very agitated look of many small models although the waves are not very large.

What do you think 3D printing added to the model - are we all going to be buying a printer soon?

Out of purely academic interest what did the plastic cost to make this?

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 09:00:27 »
Very impressive for such a small model. You seem to have avoided the very agitated look of many small models although the waves are not very large.

When the waves hit the sides it can get a bit more rocky. But I'm pleased overall. At such scale weight (and its distribution) become a trickier issue than on larger models where there's more leeway in terms of ballasting.

There's no ballast in that model per se. RC components (BL motor, ESC, RX, micro servo and 1200mah 1S battery) are the only "ballast".

Quote from: ChrisE
What do you think 3D printing added to the model - are we all going to be buying a printer soon?

It is an interesting technology, getting refined continuously. It's still more akin to machining. Settings have to be tweaked depending on the object you're printing, type of plastic, ....   You also have to learn 3D modelling if you want to create your own models. Not the hardest thing in the world but it takes time too.

And there's much more than just model making. Anytime you need "a thing" you can draw and print it. I've printed small brackets/"things" to hold two pieces of wood at odd angles while the glue sets in.

At first I just thought of my printer as a system to print my model boats parts. But then you realize than you can print "anything". Every time you're thinking "damn I wish I had a bracket/rig/tool/whatever" ... your printer can potentially print it. I've printed guides/"thingies" holding plywood pieces at odd angles while the glue cures and so one.

With prices coming down 3D printing is probably going to get more widespread. I'm not buying the idea of "every household having one" you sometimes hear. But for people who like building/fixing stuff it is a nice addition.

If you could only afford ($$ or workshop space) a single machine I might suggest a 2D/2.5D CNC cutting/milling router tough. It can work on different materials but of course only in 2D.

Anyway these CNC tools (which are actually very closely related) are great investments for model clubs.

Quote from: ChrisE
Out of purely academic interest what did the plastic cost to make this?

I'd say 11-13EUR for the finished model (not including the prototype hull which turned out way too heavy). You could probably get cheaper ABS or PLA but I'm not printing enough stuff to try and find cheaper stuff (you'd have to test, dial in new settings & so one).
3D printing is definitely not for mass production. Injection molding, vacuum forming are  waaaaaay cheaper.

ChrisE

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 02:31:28 »
Very interesting but unfortunately it will need to be a little more everyday before I invest.

In the video the model appears to have 2 torque twitches after around 10 seconds. Are they operator induced or is it the startup kick of the motor/ controller combination?

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 10:57:39 »
The micro ESC is surprisingly smooth. And those two twitches were operator induced.

The weight of the motor bell - relative to the overall weight - can be considered significant. Hence the torque effect.

mengam

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 12:27:52 »
Hello

What an awesome "crotte de nez"  ! Thanks for the video - I'm looking forward to sail close to her with ... Spirit of Archimedes 

Mengam

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 03:54:05 »
You'll have to wait: the crotte de nez just docked at Bremerhaven. :)

mengam

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 04:06:08 »
Hello

Are you aboard the Jork ?  I follow her position on Marinetraffic.com and enter a link in my favorite. 

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 04:43:09 »
Yep. Boarded yesterday. We sailed from Hamburg to Bremerhaven this morning.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 13:59:15 by Calimero »

mengam

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 11:16:15 »
That means the NOK tonight or tomorrow morning - I cross my finger for a daylight transit.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 14:01:11 »
We're supposed to leave quite soon. Not much the GoPro can do by night. We'll see.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 17:33:58 »
Log 2015-01-21 : Microspringer goes on a trip

The Microspringer tagged along as I got on a container ship from Hamburg to Finland.

M/V Jork in Oulu - My "ride" for two weeks.

Microspringer in Oulu (Finland) - Sailing in the Gulf of Bothnia proved impossible, sadly

Microspringer in Hamburg - At the Hamburg Museum

Microspringer in Hamburg - At the Hamburg Museum

The Hamburg Museum is located in the Planten un Blomen park which features a pond. Perfect for sailing my Microspringer.

But it turns out there was a little bit of ice which Microspringer had to clear.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDHOBuBmJU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDHOBuBmJU</a>

Even with such an intense "workout" run time was over 30 minutes from a 1S/1200mAh LiPo battery.