Author Topic: Tug books  (Read 6610 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Tug books
« on: November 24, 2014, 07:23:01 »
Here are a couple of books you may wish to add to your Christmas list. The second one is only available through Amazon UK.
VGJQ

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: Tug books
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 19:00:25 »
Thanks for posting that!  I just ordered the Puget Sound book on Amazon.   Puget Sound is home for me. :)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:05:43 »
There are lots of good books about tugs and work boats in that area. Hope you enjoy the book.
VGJQ

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 13:22:11 »
Thank you for posting the books. I didn't know about the Puget Sound book. Like "tug-arlyn-nelson",
I have lived here on the "Sound" all my life watching the tugs pull the world around. As a teen, I lived
on the water front of West Seattle and watched the WWll "Victory Ships" being towed to the scrap
yard in Tacoma. . .right past my front room window. . .those were the days.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 14:34:15 »
Yes there are quite  a few good books about local towing, I have seen most of them I think, but somehow I missed this one. My uncle Mark Freeman penned one a couple of years ago with Chuck Fowler,  "Tugboats on Puget Sound".  Pretty neat stuff!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:38:25 »
Yeah, that's a good one. A welcome addition to my collection.
VGJQ

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 15:46:14 »
I just took delivery of another fine looking tug book. 'Fifty Years of Naval Tugs' by Bill Hannan.  In it are several pictures of Assurance, Envoy and Bustler class tugs that I have not seen before including a dandy shot of my "Restive" W39 ( that I have named my just completed model after), in civilian dress. Lots of neat pix and info. No doubt many of you are familiar with this book.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 20:02:19 »
I just ordered a hard to find book from the Netherlands. "A Tug at our Hearts" Stories of the South African Super tugs", by Grapow and Westly-Nunn. I looked around on the net and found one copy for sale. Had to pay beau coup shipping but..

Should be a neat book.

Anyone else have this book?

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:17:26 »
"A Tug at our Hears". . .cool title with lots of tugboat spirit. Sounds like good tug reading, Scott.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 08:53:09 »
Hi Tug. Yes I have the book it isa really interesting read,with some sad pics of the wolraad being scrapped on the beach. You will enjoy it matey.  Geo.
Tugs are for life      George B

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 11:55:26 »
Bought a copy a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent reading.
VGJQ

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 12:56:34 »
I got my copy a few days ago, nice book, cant wait to get into it.

Some may remember I had asked some time ago about a book that had some Assurance class and Bustler class pix in it. A couple suggestions were made but none quite fit what I remembered my dad having when I was a kid. Well today I got some stuff of my late dads from my sister and lo and behold there was the book!  Its called:
"The Practice of Ocean Rescue" by R E Sanders. Printed in Glasgow, Brown Son and Ferguson Pub., in 1947 a 1st ed.

I cannot tell you all how tickled I am to once again have this fine book in hand! Even has a close up of the tow hook on the Assurance tug, and a fine picture of HM Tenacity charging along at what must be flank speed and a bit more as I have never seen one going this fast before. Looks like my model of W39 slicing thru the waves that  I posted on my build thread.

Anyone else have or ever seen this book before?

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 22:27:34 »
Hi Tug A N ,
                 just bought a copy through AbeBooks, several more available, but watch out for postage costs, some from far flung places have postage of 20+.
Syd J

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 07:24:59 »
Hi Syd,  Which book did you buy?

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 21:30:49 »
Saw your remarks regarding "The Practice of Ocean Rescue" by R E Sanders. and thought I would give it a try, so that's the one I bought.
Syd J