Author Topic: Svitzer Eston  (Read 2767 times)

Kev30

Svitzer Eston
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:01:32 »
If you go to the web-site : www.tugspotters.com/site/content/2014/11/svitzer-eston/     it shows the new tug Svitzer Eston being craned off a ship the tug is a new build to join the Middlesbrough fleet. There is also a new tug of the same design to be stationed at Southampton called Svitzer Bargate.

Regards
Kevin

adam_goodin

Re: Svitzer Eston
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 13:47:25 »
Looks a nice tug to me, and highly manoeuvrable I imagine
Cheers

-Adam-

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:04:14 »
I was always intrigued by the 2412 twin fin. It has essentially become an azimuth tractor tug rather than an ASD. The twin fin design is meant improve directional stability by correcting some of the issues of a full length box keel whilst still providing maximum manouverability and overall stability. You'll have to let us know how she performs Kev.

mengam

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:28:16 »
Hello Capt Towline

I was also intrigated with this twin fin and I received an answer from an Autralian friend - some years ago I've sailed a 2412 there - the answer is because of the impressive ratio length/breadth : 2    - Then the water flow is not working well with an axial sked. 

About performance, let say that to work as the Australian - Push pull mode -  she's not so nice and an ASD could do the job better.

Of course it's an Azimuthal tractor  - ATD for Azimuth Tractor Drive - I don't know why Damen copyright for that name ?)

So in Europe way of tow, she's nice to take the forward line of a ship - better and less dangerous at that place than an ASD sailing astern

This comparaison between the ATD 29 and 24 is talking by itself :  have a look to the bollard pull (engine power) - speed and length/breadth ratio

A+ Xtian
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:40:13 by mengam »