Author Topic: MMM Portgarth  (Read 4980 times)

adam_goodin

MMM Portgarth
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:10:34 »
Hello all,

Well I'll be starting a new build of the above named tug just after Christmas.
So, as it's the first MMM tug I'll have built, I'd greatly appreciate some tips/photos etc if anybody could spare the time.

I'll be building her in svitzer colours and configuration, but using a little modellers licence... She'll be Middlesbrough registered  :-\

Anyhow, keep an eye out for my updates if your interested and until then, have a great Christmas all.
Cheers

-Adam-

fastfaz

Re: MMM Portgarth
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:31:13 »
   Hi Adam,
        I wish you all the very best with your build (season etc) MMM in my opinion provide the best hulls and plans that are available, plus the telephone back up service, I am about two thirds through my Sun XX1 build but the next project will be my MMM Tid followed by Rosegarth and Norton Cross. Please keep the forum updated with photos I am sure we will all appreciate it you will not find a better place for advice and help.
       Cheers,
             Peter. ;)
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:52:45 »
Like Peter said, Adam, the MMM Portgarth is a good choice. I took a look around and
the folks at Mobil Marine Models look like they offer an extra nice model.

Here is a URL to one of the Forum's posts, with pictures, about building the MMM Portgarth
and I am sure there are many more posts here that will guide you along the way.
http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=2825.0

We will be looking for your pictures Adam. Congratulations on your build venture,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

fastfaz

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:17:51 »
Hi,
    I checked out the thread and it looks good, it must be nice to be able drive nearby and view the actual boat. Here in Southport (no docks or Tugs) when the tide is out you would have to drive for ten minutes to reach water. Keep the pics coming.
        Cheers,
             Peter.
                    :)

The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

adam_goodin

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:49:55 »
Thanks for the responses folks. The kit arrived from MMM but I'll not be opening the box until after Christmas according to the boss lady!  ::)

Now, I'm wondering is there a massive difference with regards to towing when using either 60mm or 70mm korts? Keeping in mind I'll be towing a 16 foot monster of a vessel with the tug. I'm guessing going with the 70's would be of a big benefit but I thought I'd ask.
Cheers

-Adam-

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 02:28:04 »
It would help. But the type of propeller is also critical. Raboesch's #174 props are excellent for towing. Lower pitch (0.9) and a lot of blade surface. The move a lot of water.
Downside: only available up to 60mm and the might need some turning or fitting if you're going with Mobile Marine korts (which I assume you have with the kit).

Propshop has kort props (with clipped blades) that match MMM korts. Higher pitch (a bit over 1) and significantly smaller blades. But available in 70mm dia.

Whether you go for 60 or 70mm, get decent motors (go brushless !) and you'll have plenty power. I've been able to tow mengam's toy for tug (13ft / displacement over 300kg) with my single' crew springer and a 45mm #174 prop.

fastfaz

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:56 »
Hi Adam,
     If you contact the Prop shop they will be able to help (they make all the Korts for MMM) I am sure, details on the net. or Model boats mag.
        Cheers,
             Peter. ;)

adam_goodin

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 16:32:29 »
Hi all,

Just to let you know, I have now properly started the build, and as I go I will take photos and eventually post up!
Cheers

-Adam-

adam_goodin

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 14:57:43 »
Quick question on esc's folks.
 I usually use electronize but, I've been looking at action electronics. Should I make the change or stick to electronize?
Cheers

-Adam-

des

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 01:01:57 »
I am using ACTion stuff in my AHTS model.  No issues with them - they worked straight out of the box (well, after I changed the wiring back and forth several times 'cos I didn't read the wiring diagram right).  And their service is okay - when I blew up a couple of MOSFETS in one controller they quickly emailed the part numbers so I could obtain replacements locally (instead of having to import them from UK).

They get my recommendation.

Des

adam_goodin

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 03:06:38 »
Thanks for the info Des.

I'm getting on with the build, taking photos as I go. I will get around to putting them on the computer eventually!

I've just finished sealing in and sanding smooth the rear deck. Onwards!
Cheers

-Adam-

adam_goodin

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 15:44:38 »
Pics to come over the coming days folks.
Cheers

-Adam-

Kev30

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 06:44:26 »
Anyone building the Portgarth tug these photo's might be useful as they show the tug painted in the Wijsmuller colours before going into Svitzer livery and the pictures were taken about 2002/2003 in Royal Portbury dock here in Bristol.
I hope there of interest.

Regards
Kevin