Author Topic: How can we encourage "Non-Posting" members to join in ?  (Read 5445 times)

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
How can we encourage the 209 members of our Forum, who have never posted, to in join in with the fun on the Forum ?

I know its the norm on Forums that members often like to watch from the sidelines but it would be nice to tip the balance of "Posters" and "Non-Posters" a little bit....I'm sure there is alot of very knowledgable, experienced and enthusiastic non-posting members out there !

Any ideas ?

Restricted access to Non-Posters/Guests ?
Membership cancelled after a certain time ?
Cash Bribes/Free Beer ?
Free Holiday round Footski's place ?
Free Password to the TugForum's Adult Material ?

Tugmaster
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:00:55 by TugMaster »
Ok, so I like a drop !

thelongbuild

• Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: How can we encourage "Non-Posting" members to join in ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:45 »
Not sure about restricting access, or cash bribes, and a clear out of accounts after a defined period of inactivity is good housework however at the time of this posting there are 72 guests ? viewing.

Come on Guys & Girls  if your not registered Join in.

Next Build M.S.C Volant after 1 other.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:25:04 »
Patience and keeping the great humour!!!

The word will spread and people will begin to open up...

Having knowledge is not important, gaining knowledge and sharing knowlege IS...(I am proof of that...I know nothing but have posted over 200 times...).

Come on you lot ask questions or give us opinions...All welcome...

Tugmaster.......Swmbo asks what the password is?????
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:28:47 by Footski »
Barry

Cragsider

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 07:55:45 »
 Problem being that we are all different, whilst some of us enjoy putting pen to paper others will get an enormous amount of pleasure following the forum threads, me I like doing both.

Peter
Peter.

bigford

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:19 »
Free Password to the TugForum's Adult Material
we got this and i dont have a password??? :( :-[
more boats then money

thelongbuild

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:44 »
Bigford, Its Heavy stuff and you are only 34.  ;D

howi 2

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:41:21 »
             Hi  howi 2 here, may be there are others owt there, who like me arnt to clever on this computor thing.  i have been trying to send some photos of my tug Moorcock they are on a  cd,  To those  hew now watt to  do,  Please tell me.  The tug is 1 inch= 1foot it is constucted in steel plates that are rivitted together onto a steel frame, Her lenght is 108 inches beam 29 inches  wieght will be when tranporting approx  12 stone    in water aprox  6 cwt    transport is by trailer with a hoist  to do the lifting  etc.  I will take some more photos soon to show progress

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 16:59:09 »
HI ALL ; We have been having problems posting , but not with your system it is with us trying to post . It comes down to nowing what buttons to push . Love your forum ,and we will persevere . So bear with us till we figger it out.               puffin

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 19:35:04 »
             Hi  howi 2 here, may be there are others owt there, who like me arnt to clever on this computor thing.  i have been trying to send some photos of my tug Moorcock they are on a  cd,  To those  hew now watt to  do,  Please tell me.  The tug is 1 inch= 1foot it is constucted in steel plates that are rivitted together onto a steel frame, Her lenght is 108 inches beam 29 inches  wieght will be when tranporting approx  12 stone    in water aprox  6 cwt    transport is by trailer with a hoist  to do the lifting  etc.  I will take some more photos soon to show progress

Hi howi 2:
Good to hear from you!
If you want to post your pictures, that are on that CD, try these steps:

1) Insert CD into your 'CD drive' on your computer.
2) When your opening program 'pops' up and asks you what you want to do, click on 'Save pictures to File'.
* Note: You may want to name this file, and name your pictures at this time. SAVE the program!!
3) Remove CD from your computer.
4) Log-in to the forum, and choose which board (main topic) you'd like to post in.
5) I'm going to asume that your 'Moorcock' is a model of a Steam Tug (if I'm wrong, I apologize), so now scroll down the opening page till you see 'Steam Tugs', click on that, now you're on that 'board'.
6) Near the top right corner of that board you'll see 'New Topic', so now click on that. Name your new topic 'Moorcock Build'.
7) Now you're ready to write your post.
8) When you're done writing, you'll see "Additional Options", just below the area that you added your text to.
9) Click on 'Additional Options', then click on "Browse"; now your computer's file selector should appear, and you MAY have to select 'Pictures', if you're not there already.
10) Select the first picture you'd like to add to your post, then click on add.
That picture has now been added to your post. Repeat for more pictures.
11) Now click on 'Preview', so you can see what your post will look like to the forum.
** Note: Your picture(s) will NOT show up in preview mode** (this is normal).
12) If you're happy with your text message, then click on 'POST'
13) Now you can check your post by going back to the Home page, and scrolling down to the latest posts section.

Hope this is of some help!

Cheers
P.S The weight of your tug is 12 Stone?
Being here in Canada, I'm embarassed to admit that I have no idea what a 'Stone' is!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 20:22:47 by tugs53 »
MIKE

manxman

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 19:52:56 »
TugMaster & Moderators

Now there's a good idea from Puffin - a tutorial page - showing all members what and how to use all those buttons.
Give us a picture of each followed by what it does, then how to use it.
I have to admit, I don't have a clue how to use that second row ? - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Cheers - Ken
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

HS93

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 20:07:41 »
anothere point I dont know if has happend to anyone else but I have just posted in anothere topic spent a few minuites typing it in presse post and it disapeared, so I had to do it again and the same thing 3rd time lucky, the same if you include a picture that the name has been used before on the site it hangs for some time then the post is lost , so you have to do it all again , I think a reminder of this may be an idea as some cameras and scaners use the same system of numbering. it can put people off especily new people if there post disappears.

Peter

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 20:42:29 »
Hi Ken and Peter:
I like both your ideas, and I'm sure TugMaster will look into a solution. :)

***A reminder to All, you can't post the same picture names (or numbers) or topic titles (or names) twice, unless re-named***

Thanks for your input guys!! :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 21:44:36 by tugs53 »
MIKE

thelongbuild

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 22:33:06 »

P.S The weight of your tug is 12 Stone?
Being here in Canada, I'm embarassed to admit that I have no idea what a 'Stone' is!
The first thing that comes to my mind, when I think of '12 Stone', is TugMaster, Tango, Footski, and 9 other guys sitting by the pond, drinking beer, and running their model tugs!! ;D

1 Stone is equal to 14 pounds  so 12 stones is 168 pounds. So that is a heavy Tug.

howi 2

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 12:11:29 »
To Tugs  53  Many thanks for your reply, It is a grate help, hopefully i will send my photos know. 1 stone =14 pounds     8 stone = 1 cwt / 112 pounds   12 stone= the weight  of a average man, depending on how many bears he has consumed, This should make 1 more member post.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 19:33:14 »
To Tugs  53  Many thanks for your reply, It is a grate help, hopefully i will send my photos know. 1 stone =14 pounds     8 stone = 1 cwt / 112 pounds   12 stone= the weight  of a average man, depending on how many bears he has consumed, This should make 1 more member post.

Glad to be of help!
Should you encounter any difficulties, feel free to send me a PM!
Same goes for anyone else, but be warned, I'm no computer genius ;D ;D
MIKE