Author Topic: Dinghy covers  (Read 2642 times)

Kev30

Dinghy covers
« on: January 18, 2015, 13:16:30 »
I need some advice please on how to make a dinghy cover for my tugs rescue boat, I've tried various methods on making a dinghy cover trying to make it look like a proper plastic boat cover. I've tried thin plasti-card and applied heat via a hot air gun (from distance so it won't melt it through) and never really got the look I'm after as I was gonna apply a very fine net/cloth to it after the its melted to the right shape to make it look like a re-enforced boat cover rather than a flat surface.
I've looked in books it mentions the method I've tried above but it was used on a old design rescue boat where the cover tight all round, rather than an inflatable dinghy with a cover over it with ties pulling it down.
I would of sent photo's in to show effect / finish I'm after but I'm unable too at present.

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 14:14:34 by Kev30 »

Jarvo

Re: Dinghy covers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 15:23:44 »
Hi Kevin

Try a piece of pallet wrap its like thick cling film, shops etc recieving deliveries on palets will throw miles of the stuff away.

Or try toilet tissue with very thin varnish, this if you use several layers will give you the drooping canvas and the grain effect.

Regards

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

boman

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 00:50:59 »
Paper towel soaked in watered down white glue.

Kev30

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:57 »
Many thanks gents I'll try out these two methods and I will keep you posted on how they come out.

Thanks again
Kevin

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 23:08:03 »
If you use plain white paper ,and   S-1 it . It is more to scale . PUFFIN

Jarvo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:09:28 »
HI Puffin

What is S-1???

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:02:11 »
S-1 is a epoxy that is very thin . It was developed for water proofing concrete . There is alot of other uses that has been found . It can be found in most plastic's shop's .   PUFFIN

Jarvo

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 14:32:39 »
Cheers mate

Is this the stuff they use to seal or waterproof patterned concrete??  seems to be swept into nooks and crannies, sounds ideal to seal plank on frame hulls, what is its setting time please???

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 16:39:19 »
It is about 8 hours . It will penetrate a lot of materials such as wood right through them. I learned about it from DOUG ALLEN . You can turn  paper , card board , into all shapes of things .   PUFFIN