Author Topic: Hull plating  (Read 2785 times)

fastfaz

Hull plating
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:56 »
Hi everyone,
    I want to know how to plate the fibreglass hull of a boat with paper to look like it has been riveted? and in particular how do you manage to get around the curves at the stern. What size do you cut the plates to and do they overlap at the ends and also overlap above and below (roof tiles etc), do you start the plating at the keel upwards or the other way round. Help appreciated guys.
       Cheers,
            Faz.

The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Hull plating
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:14:11 »
Hi Peter as i said in that P M ,,I use 100 to 120 gsm paper  (thick printer paper)  and cut the paper to the size that I want the plates to be, then lay a steel rule about 1/8th of an inch in from the edge and then run my thumb nail along it to make a crease in the paper and if needed across one end to make he plate joggle, I stick them with P V A I will try to posyt some pictures to help clarify it.   Geo

the pictures have gone on ok the first one is how to put the long edge crease in
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:19:50 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:15:48 »
they are a bit out of order but here is a new paper plate.then one with the creases in
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:21:20 by model tugman »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:16:53 »
and more.  I always find it easier to start at the keel and work up I just find it easier.
first one is the first lay of plating the one showing the how they overlap
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:23:18 by model tugman »

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 15:07:28 »
Excellent George. I hadn't though of your approach and it is perfect. Faz and myself now know a very easy and clever way to simulate rivets and plating. I can even think of many other situations where this method will work its magic.

Thank you George for the clear and simple pictures showing the "difficult" and making it easier to carry out a plating sequence that works out just fine. Your illustrations and focus have made clear to me that I have to show more about the "planking" I hope to show to others when I am successful.

These "show and tell" sharings here on the Forum save hundreds of hours of trial and error for all who go down to the sea in Tugboats.

Thank you Tug Master,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Tiny69

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 00:55:39 »
If you follow to link you will find a full description on how I plated my VIC 32 hull, including some videos.

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=5136.msg64960#msg64960

Tiny

fastfaz

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:11:29 »
  Hi George and Tiny,
       Thanks for the info very helpful and when you see the methods used makes it look a bit easier. I won't be doing it until later in the year, too much workload, but will keep you both informed. Thanks again.
     Cheers,
           Peter. :)
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.