Author Topic: Od Request!Can Anyone Supply a Stereo RC Tug WAV file 3 to 5 seconds?  (Read 6986 times)

rctugman

Hello everyone
Please excuse this rather odd request? I have come to rely on related WAV file Sounds to differentiate between interest and Different-email addresses.When it was Model railways I had lots of choice on the net likewise when it was RC Aircraft(Passive participent)I had Aircraft WAV's and so on...

My eyesight is really awful and I came to appreciate the different sounds.

Now since my Attention was taken by the wonderful world of RC TUGS I have scoured the net but to date a bit dissapointing very little of real quality related to TUG Sounds,and believe me I have looked.

What I need is WAV File approx 3 to 6 seconds of say RC TUG ENGINE, not the horn I think.

if anyone can help

very much obliged

Best wishes Steve

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Od Request!Can Anyone Supply a Stereo RC Tug WAV file 3 to 5 seconds?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 20:38:13 »
I took a look around Steve and like your self, I didn't find a WAV file with just a tugboat engine.
And, many of the engines and horns/whistles were not the right sounds for today's tugs. So,
let's hope that someone here knows where the perfect WAV tug engine file is located.

Here is the link to the best engine sounds I could find without a horn.
https://www.sounddogs.com/results.asp?Type=1&CategoryID=1010&SubcategoryID=40

About 10 lines up from the bottom of the page is, "BOAT, TUG - IDLE, PULL AWAY FROM DOCK,
ON BOARD, MARINE" , free to listen to. I am not familiar with different sound files but I don't
think this is a WAV file. And, I am sorry to just see that this one is not free, seven dollars US.
Most of the WAV files I found were free.

Thank you for the sound lesson Steve and I hope I learn more here when you fine  you wave,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 21:01:57 »
You may find that locomotive engine sounds ; such as EMD 645 series....are far more realistic than some of the so-called "Tugboat engine sounds".
"Suds"

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 23:28:33 »
Right on Suds. I looked around for another hour and the diesel locomotive WAV sounds are
just the ticket. Here are the best WAV diesel engine sounds I could fine Steve.

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/diesel_engine  There are 3 or 4 to choose from, free.

I worked in a shipyard in Bellingham, WA for five years. For two of the years, I build the oil piping
and water cooling systems for 4 Coast Guard "Buoy Tenders" being repowered. Each ship
had two V8 Locomotive engines running generators. I don't remember the design name of
the engines but they were about 10 feet tall. Air starters. . .purred like a new Swiss watch
when fired off.  .  .music to my ears.

I hope you the best Steve and thanks for the tip Suds,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

rctugman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 00:44:24 »
Good day Michael

Really nice to hear from you again,really appreciate your continued help.Suds had a point re the Locomotive sounds sounding more realistic as I used to have many, Diesel,Electric and of course Steam sounds ..but would have loved to find a realistic Tug Boat sound I really thank you suds for your kind reply.

The following sounds on soundog are Okay but to long,as I do not know how to edit the time down?
https://www.sounddogs.com/results.asp?Type=1&CategoryID=1010&SubcategoryID=40

I would not mind a MODEL TUG Sound if one could be located but it is not a priority

all the best Steve

des

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:56:07 »
I had thought about recommending locomotive sound files, but I see a couple of other members beat me to it.  But there are a couple of things that you need to know before outlaying good money.

Firstly, I never heard of a twin-engine locomotive, so a locomotive WAV file will most likely be of a single engine - which is okay if your model tug is also single-engine.  I guess it may be possible to duplicate the engine sound for a second engine - I haven't tried it myself (and I don't want to spend the money on two sound systems).

Secondly, the operation of a locomotive engine is somewhat different to a tug engine, which may result in "unreal" sound from your model tug.  For a locomotive, where the engine drives a generator, engine speed and power output are not necessarily linked - you can have a generator engine operating at full speed but no load.  For a (direct drive) tug on the other hand, engine output is linked to power - full throttle equals full speed equals full load.  Strangely (unless you are an engineer), half throttle will give half speed, half the water thrust from the propeller, but only 1/8 power to the propeller.  This will sound completely different to most diesel locos.

Of course, if the "real" tug on which your model is based has a diesel electric drive system (Michael, you can drool now) then a locomotive engine sound file will be entirely appropriate.

It is my intention to install a locomotive sound module into my model when I get to that stage - single sound module for twin drives.  I am prepared to accept the "incorrectness", and am not prepared to spend 3x the money for something that may be a little more realistic to me, but for which most people will not be able to tell the difference.

By the way, an EMD 645 or 710 series engine sound file would be great - they sound completely different than CAT 3500 or 3600 engines.

Des.

rctugman

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:39:46 »
Hello Des

Good to hear from you,I am not sure if your post is directly aimed at me or members in general.I must admit speaking personally my intricate knowledge of engines and especially the differences between Tug & Locomotive sounds are almost nil.

I am only interested in the smal WAV File as a Email arrived sound.... not anything to do with installing in model tugs e.t.c.

all the best Steve
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:49:55 by rctugman »

bluto

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:39:25 »
Steve,

You can edit sound files using Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/), it's an open source (aka free) progam for manipulating sound files.  You can shorten, loop, covert to different formats (like from .mpg to .wav) and perform many other operations. 

I created a sound system for my boats and I have many tug related sounds files. I'll go thru them tonight when I get home and see if I have, or can edit,  one to suit your needs.

I have start-up, idle, various rpm and shutdown effects, let me know if you have a preference for any particular type.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:47:08 by bluto »
Pete

rctugman

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:44:46 »
Good day pete
Many thanks for getting in touch,very much appreciated.Up til now have never had to edit, so never bothered to look for editing software but the Audacity couold be very useful,many thaanks for that.

As to the ideal sound Wav well something that just sounds right is not to grating on the nerves!My wife hates my sound wavs on my incoming mails...

Once again many thanks

cheers Steve

des

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 14:57:19 »
Sorry Steve, for my long-winded reply.  I didn't realise you wanted the WAV file for a non-modelling application.  I thought that you had discovered the wonders of tug modelling, and needed the WAV file for a sound module.  But the content may be of interest to others with a similar dilemma.

Des.

bluto

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 15:58:51 »
Steve,

Try these attached files.  I am breaking them up into mutiple posts due to the size limits on the forum.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 16:04:25 by bluto »
Pete

bluto

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 16:00:03 »
And these...............
Pete

bluto

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 16:01:36 »
And these............
Pete

bluto

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 16:03:01 »
And a few sound effects
Pete

bluto

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 16:05:21 »
And the last batch.
Pete