Author Topic: Od Request!Can Anyone Supply a Stereo RC Tug WAV file 3 to 5 seconds?  (Read 6215 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
Re: Od Request!Can Anyone Supply a Stereo RC Tug WAV file 3 to 5 seconds?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 16:41:44 »
Pretty interesting sounds!

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 19:44:37 »
Quite super indeed Pete. Very nice work. I learned several things about sound reading this post.
I'm going back and listen to some of the sounds again. They bring the engine room right here
in my front room for a moment. I found myself looking over to the front porch as I listened to
the anchor chain scooting across the deck.

Thank you all, tugboat friends, for sharing and making our Forum THE place to find tug answers,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

rctugman

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 01:51:17 »
Good Morning Everyone

Firstly I would like to join with Michael in thanking everyone on the Forum

Thank you all, tugboat friends, for sharing and making our Forum THE place to find tug answers,

I am new to the Forum as you know,but already I have being very taken by the genuine kindness and helpfulness shown

I thank you very much indeed Pete  for the selection of fine tug boat Related Sounds First~ClassI can change the sound peridically...

DES  It was no problem at all your reply was most interesting in it,s own right.I am hoping once I have selected the ideal Tug Boat to have it built and it will include sychronized sound ,Smoke & lights if at all possible

best wishes Steve

bluto

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 07:18:57 »
Glad you liked them.  I created them for an rc boat sound fx system.  It's open source (free). If anyone is interested, you can download it at this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1830911&page=21
Pete

rctugman

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 07:49:00 »
Hello Again Pete,
Many thanks for the link have now downloaded all the sounds files...excellent

Cheers Steve

bluto

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:36 »
Steve,

Keep in mind that the files you downloaded from the project page are in ".ogg" format.  So if you need them in ".wav" format, just open them with Audacity and then choose Files -> Export, and pick "wav", or any of the other available formats you may need.

Pete
Pete

rctugman

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 09:03:27 »
Hi Pete
Good to hear from you again
yes I noticed they were in .OGG they are now in .WAV
many thanks once again
superb sound files
can I be clear were those last files actually model Rc Tug Sounds or real sounds for RC TUGS?

best wishes Steve

bluto

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 09:48:31 »
Steve,

They are recordings of real sounds which are then edited for RC model use.  When I started the project, I just wasn't satisfied with the quality of synthetically generated sounds and decided to use real sounds. I then edit and modify pitch, frequency, compression etc. to suit the application. They are at the stage where they are "good enough". I wanted the sytem to be as open and flexible as possible so that anyone can add their own sounds too. I am now concentrating on some simple ways to control them in the running model.  One variant uses a smart phone talking to a web server in the running boat (on a raspberry pi) that allow me to use a menu on the phone to activate and de-activate the sound effects.  This eliminates the need for many channels on the radio transmitter.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:52:57 by bluto »
Pete

2tugboats

• Two Tugboats
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 10:27:24 »
What a beautiful mind picture you make for me, Pete. Thank you for sharing your work.
I can see myself flipping open my phone and being in full command of my tug. . .how sweet it is.
This Tugboat Forum here is THE source of "talking to your tug" information.

Here is a picture I made that you might get a laugh from.

Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

rctugman

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 12:26:03 »
Hello Pete,
Many thanks for your most intersting reply.You really go the extra yard to get things (sounds ) right and I really like and admire that even to the lengths of using a "Raspberry pi"
Simply superb.

I must just mention that the Gauge One Locos I was selling have a superb Sound chip by the manufacturer ESU and beblive me they are simply superb.

When I got interested in TUGS I thought any model I am firtunate to have built for me,must have if at all possible a synchronized sound system controllable from the  R.Transmitter.

I am so excited at the possibilities but I suspect the person who hopefully eventually builds said TUG will need the right knowledge & skills

all the best Steve

bluto

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 16:25:51 »
Hi Steve,

I am familiar with ESU, they make great model RR speed controllers / sound systems.  I am trying to achieve similar functionality with the rc boat system.  Currently, one version of the system is using an Arduino to capture the throttle stick position and adjust the throttle rpm sound on the raspberry pi accordingly, thanks to my friend Dutchraptor who created the arduino interface.
The other version, that I mentioned above, is a very simple user interface using a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or anything that can view a web page.  You just go the web page, and push corresponding button for the various sounds.  This version is almost at the test phase and I hope to have it done by month end.
The reason for the raspberry pi is that the software development framework I am using allows me to code polyphonic effects, that means I can play 8 simultaneous sounds rather than one at a time, allowing for more realistic effects.  I hope I am not boring everyone with this, but as you probably already know, once you have a loco with sound, the other locos sit on the shelf.  I found the same thing with my boats, the sound effects add so much more fun and enhance the simulation.

Pete
Pete

rctugman

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 00:14:05 »
Good morning Pete,

Another very interesting reply and I doubt you are boring anyone,facsinating stuff!I wish you continued sucsess with your endeavours.

I have being looking at and for commercial sound unit offererings and I came across a couple,one in particular grabbed my attention? from "Harbor-Models" http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/main_pages/soundmodules.htm

You are no doubt well aware of this modual and the other currently available sound systems, I was just wondering how good is this one from Harbor?

all the best Steve

2tugboats

• Two Tugboats
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 00:57:23 »
Well Steve, I have a "Harbor Models" engine sounds in my tug, "Kathy Sue".
Sometime I just leave it on idle in my shop. . .it sounds just like the real thing.
It also works with the speed control and all.  You can hear one of another
builder's tugs of my design, Doc's "Mary Ann" here: http://www.twotugboats.com/Videos_of_this_tugboat-.html

These tugboat designs are only to the builder's ideas and not replicas.
Sort of an easy building wood working tugboat project.

Michael

rctugman

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 01:09:16 »
Good Morning Michael

Really nice to hear from you,Yes the Harbor sound units seem excellent and very realstic!I think your Tugs are very unique Michael and I suspect they give you a great deal of pleasure in building and sailing.

Best wishes Steve