Author Topic: Slipway ASSURANCE class model  (Read 30477 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

Slipway ASSURANCE class model
« on: February 12, 2015, 15:32:05 »
Well I bit the bullet and went big time on this monster model.  Even bigger than I thought and I knew its app. dimensions. Actually made it to the West coast USA in 2 days from GB!  I didn't even think that was possible.  I think I will start buying all my stuff in the UK!  It was fun opening up that huge box and looking over all the parts and pcs.  The only fly in the ointment was that the motor and coupling I ordered with the kit didn't make it over.  I have already emailed them and I am sure it will be rectified quickly, not worried about it.  I think this will be fun and I know it will be challenging as well. Not sure how soon I will start but probably sooner than later.  Just finishing up a barge I built to put behind the Dumas Carol Moran tug I just completed.  I made the barge as close to the same scale as practical, it being 4 feet long, or scale size of about 290 feet for a 105 ft tugboat, about right.  I will post some pics soon and will post progress as it goes along and probably will have some questions for those who have built this kit or the ENVOY or similar kits.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Slipway ASSURANCE class model
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 16:22:24 »
I have a link and a picture here Scott, and I hope I have the right tug.
Personally, I really love this old Navy tugboat design, you have picked
a real beauty.

Here is a link that shows about 20 pictures on one page of how
Mr I. Warne, UK built his "Assurance" class tugboat.
http://www.modelslipway.com/photo_gallery/assurance_IWarne_arles_gallery/index.html

And here is a picture of the finished model. . .what a fine old tugboat.

I am sure there are a few builders of this classic here on the Forum. We all
will be looking forward to seeing your pictures here posted here,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 19:24:50 »
That's the one allright, a great looking little ship. Same tug as used in the movie, THE KEY with William Holden, Trevor Howard and Sophia Loren. One of my favorite movies. One of the few tugs that I think is even better looking than a Miki type.

Bruceter

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 20:25:17 »
Yes, looking forward to watching this build. What scale is this tug done in?

Bruce

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 22:07:21 »
Its 1-43 scale and is actually a bit over 43 inches in length.  Quite large, biggest I will have ever tackled. Previous large model was the Flower Class Corvette model some years ago, around 3 ft long.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 23:22:51 »
Hi Tug,  you will enjoy this build,she makes up into a very nice model,have a look under the Steam tugs blogs and there is one that I built earlier under. assurance a quick kit bash,  I finished her in Yard craft colours rather than gray,  Geo
Tugs are for life      George B

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:21:27 »
Thanks George, will do.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 08:33:03 »
Get a DVD of The Key with Sophia Loren and William Holden. Much of it is shot aboard HMS Restive an Assurance class tug. Plenty of detail in the movie. I think Restive was W 39.
VGJQ

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:11:37 »
Yes, I mentioned the movie above your post. Thanks.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 14:20:06 »
I got squared away with Mrs. White (J) at Slipway and she is going to ship a motor and coupling out next week for me. I looked high and low and could not find either in the box or wrappings etc.  I tried!  Anyway, got the build stand thrown together today.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 16:35:13 »
Tackled the vaunted shaft tube hole today. Having read some horror stories about breaking out gel kote I was cautious. Did the step drill up to just under a quarter inch, then used a chainsaw file to open it some more, then chucked that up to my drill and opened it up enough to clear the tube, viola! No damage.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 19:13:40 »
Getting the scuppers out of the way and the deck supports started gluing in.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 19:36:23 »
Finished up the deck supports today, smeared some bondo around the inside of the bulwarks to smooth them out some.  Started working on the rudder as well. The rudder as shown in the build book and on the full size plan does not reflect what you get upon initial assembly. I noted too looking at other builds of this model and ENVOY, same hull, that their rudders also looked like mine did before the mods. I opted to notch the leading edge of the rudder at each of the 4 hinges to effectively move the rudder forward a bit. I started out strong but was eventually somewhat defeated by the glue kicking before I was all the way forward due to the lack of hands to quickly get everything aligned. Still I think I improved upon what I started with and its more in line with the plans. The pics show the progression of what was involved. Pic 3 shows where I cut deeper. Last pic is what I ended up with compared to pic 1. Maybe a bit of trouble but I think it was worth a try. Having trouble posting pics. Tried 4 times, no luck on pix. Try again later I guess.  Grrrrr!
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii596/Scott3840/IMG_1197.jpg
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii596/Scott3840/IMG_1196.jpg
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii596/Scott3840/IMG_1195.jpg
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii596/Scott3840/IMG_1194.jpg

Look at them from bottom to top in order to make any sense. I forgot the Bucket swaps them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 14:12:57 by tug-arlyn-nelson »

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 14:17:55 »
[/URL][/img]

That didn't work . Where the heck is the delete button?

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:42 »
Here we go