Author Topic: Slipway ASSURANCE class model  (Read 40175 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: Slipway ASSURANCE class model
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 19:22:26 »
Thanks Michael!
 I cheated a little today. There is this rope box affair to be built and per the plans it involves much cutting of small strips and spacing them to cover the box. I just cut out sections of strips, carved a little groove on the lines and glued down the sections and painted it!  About a third the time for the same basic effect.  BTW, I noted someone asking either here or elsewhere about the best way to cut the styrene printed parts. I use scissors. A good set of Fiskars cuts the plastic just fine and thus no death by a thousand cuts work. No doubt its been done by others as well.

des

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 21:55:08 »
About cutting styrene parts, I prefer to cut slightly oversize using the score & snap method, then file down to the final size and shape.  Takes a bit more time, and creates more dust, but gets a good fit most times.

Des.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 22:01:59 »
I cut a tad over too, then file. Much quicker and easier than scoring.  Only drawback with some of the narrower parts is they tend to curl, but when that happens I just weight them down for a while and bend them back to shape.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 18:12:37 »
A bit more deck detail and the stack is built and mounted. You see the rope box on deck that I cheated on the building of. Looks OK to me.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 19:56:20 »
Davits, boats, covers, blocks and tackle oh my!!  What the deckapes might see.
I popped the "molygogger" or whatever its called off the back deck as it was just too tall.  Where its supposed to be mounted behind the port aft tow beam, it would interfere with a towline. We cant have that now can we? I may yet find another spot for it,,maybe.

I also found that the capstan back there was too tall as well so off it came!  Cut about 3/16ths inch off the bottom of the pad and re mounted. I fear my tow bows ended up lower than they should have but I tried to follow the plans, and I know that the little wire uprights under the rear bow are the right height, but perhaps I should not have let that be my guide, rather the other things on deck surrounding it. Oh well, not a huge deal, all worked out now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 19:20:39 by tug-arlyn-nelson »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 05:54:24 »
That all looks first class tug ,the way you are going it will be sea trials soon,  Geo
Tugs are for life      George B

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 12:53:32 »
Thanks George!  As my old dad used to say, "getting down to the short strokes!".  Sort of off color way of putting it but..  Be tackling mast's shortly. Still have railings to install, 10 boxes to build, been avoiding that, and lots of other little metal parts to work with yet.  Built the main deck gun yesterday and ready to glue down.  I know I will feel lost when this build is done.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 13:45:59 »
This took a bit of time to build.  I didn't follow the plans exactly, for one thing the plans seem to differ on detail and dimensions depending on where you look, but also I moved the tow lights down a bit and beefed up the forestay attachment point. Spars moved as well. At this time I don't plan to horse around with the extra pulley lights, later maybe.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 13:49:19 by tug-arlyn-nelson »

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2015, 20:05:33 »
I been plugging away everyday. Some of the little time consuming things, like railings, small parts, stack stays, rigging etc.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 17:12:28 »
Winch done, going back and tending to some things I passed on earlier. Rolling chocks are up pretty quick.  I wasn't sure I was going to do the bridge guns but decided in the end to do them.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 18:30:50 »
Lookin' really good arlyn.  Lots of detail.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 20:49:43 »
Hope to have a float test pretty soon.  Thanks!

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 06:29:06 »
Looks good - you're moving right along there.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2015, 20:06:24 »
Thanks Mike, its getting close.  Did anchors today, forestay, a couple boxes (8 more to go!). Still have some rigging isn't fast yet, but will be soon. Need to touch up some paints here and there etc.

Pardon my messy looking workplace. I don't have a dedicated model shop.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 20:08:10 by tug-arlyn-nelson »

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2015, 15:13:53 »
Looking very nice.
"Suds"