Author Topic: assembling photo etched railing stanchions  (Read 1673 times)

Brian

assembling photo etched railing stanchions
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:55:23 »
Hey everyone, I'm trying railings that I have not done before...
These are 1:100 or 1/8"=1' scale photo etched railing stanchions (yes very small...11mm tall).
They are three hole type and have .5mm or .020" brass wire for the horizontals.
The railings have a few corners and I'm having a hell of a time assembling them.
Any tricks?
Brian

des

Re: assembling photo etched railing stanchions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 14:47:57 »
A couple of things I've found -

Use copper wire for the railings - not brass, nor copper covered steel wire.  Both of the latter are too brittle.  If you make a bend and then find it is 1/2mm out, then you can't straighten it and re-bend it - it will break off at the site of the original bend.  You're stuck with an incorrect bend.  Copper wire can be straightened and re-bent multiple times.  But be careful, 'cos copper is softer than the other two, and will bend slightly between the stanchions if mis-handled.

Use superglue at the joints between rail and stanchion.  If you need to move the stanchion along a bit, it is almost impossible with three rails soldered to it.  But a superglue joint can be broken relatively easily as there isn't much surface area for the bond.  Then you can slide the stanchion to where it needs to be, and reglue.  Also, cleaning up excess solder is time consuming, and difficult with small parts - the smaller the part, the smaller the file needs to be to do the cleanup - and the smaller the file, the less effective it becomes.  Superglue doesn't need such a cleanup unless you use way too much glue.

Other members may have other "tricks", and may disagree with mine - especially about using superglue instead of solder.  There may be tricks I haven't discovered which would enable sliding the stanchion along the rails.

Des.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:47:29 »
I've also gone the cyanoacrylate route on my models. Stanchions are held with epoxy (or metyhl methacrylate for ABS hulls/decks) and railings are glued with CA.

In the end the whole thing is pretty strong and much easier/quicker than soldering especially when working with ABS/plastic decks and structures that deform/melt past 100.

Those 1:100 railings are going to be very fragile whether you solder or glue them. Stuff will bend before the joints would give in (whether soldered or glued).

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:32:53 »
When stations are mounted on wood decks, I usually use brass rod and solder and solder heat syncs.  When on plastic, I use CA and a heavy duty exterior quality canvas thread.  Has no problem taking paint.