Author Topic: Guidance on Launching Equipment & Associated Accessories Help Apprected?  (Read 20561 times)

rctugman

Good Evening Fellow Members,

My endeavors continue almost unabated  to eventually own  a First Class Tug Boat but at present I am getting the TUG Boat Support Equipment/Gear in place?

I can not begin to express just how much this project means to me,for oh so many reasons I will not bore you with.I am determined to try and get all aspects of Owning  model Tug right to the last detail ..may sound a wee bit over the top but I hope the detailed planning will prove beneficial in the future?

I would be so very grateful, if some of our Expert members could please comment on my plans/Ideas to date?
First off, is the fact whilst we have 3 lakes about 60mtrs from the door.because I am not in very good health I had to give the slight problem of how I get the boat to the water.So I looked at several trolleys and have provisionally decided on the one in the attached Photos,which I intend to soften by adding Pipe foam insulation to all the edges and at the end with the piece out of the rail removing the back flap and making a snug fit for to be decided tug??

The first thing I have to do or my Brother in law as to do id build a small bridge over a dyke at bottom of garden,should not be a big problem only mtr & half long.just big enough for trailer to cross then its a flat field.

next up is the fact the Lake is not at a constant level far from it. so much to my regret I can not really have a semi permanent Harbor  also their are no natural flat sides to tie up boat will have to be carried in to water so I have being looking at possibility of Either :A MOORING BUOY or Some form of Small pontoon I could somehow anchor to save drifting to much?I did find a neat anchor set 1 kg kit photo attached thought I could connect it to mooring buoy? Any additional ideas ,Modifications gratefully received.

I thought also a good BOAT HOOK could be a useful acquisition..

I am ordering a number of what I believe to be useful items including a pair of short range WALKIE TALKIESso my dear wife can keep track of me(SAFETY!)

A lot of my big ideas may seem a bit over the top! but I only have one good chance at getting this whole project Right,and the joy and sheer pleasure I know I will gain,drives me on to get the whole thing just so...... not just the choice of <TUG> which comes next??? and I will really need expert Help & guidance there.

but enough for the time being

all the best to you all
Regards Steve ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:35:10 by rctugman »

des

Hi RCTugMan, and greetings from Australia

My first thoughts are that you may have put the cart before the horse, so to speak.  I would be concentrating on obtaining (buy or build) your model tug first, then worry about how to get it to the water.  Although it's good to think ahead, sometimes thinking too far ahead simply confuses things - the issues may not be as difficult as you currently think.  Although I like your trolley idea - I have considered something similar myself.

Secondly, I don't know about the laws and regulations in your country, but if your lakes are not your own private property, or if they are publicly accessible, then your local regulators may not allow you to install a mooring buoy, jetty, pontoon or other permanent structure for mooring or operating your boat.

Your idea of a pair of walkie-talkies is a good one, but wouldn't your mobile phones provide the same benefit?  Again, I don't know about your country, but here in Australia we have a number of emergency call services where you simply push a button (on a pendant around your neck) and an ambulance is immediately despatched to your location.

From your mention of the walkie-talkies I take it that your health is not good.  You certainly need to take that into account when selecting your tug, especially if you plan to build the model yourself.  Bigger models are more satisfying and more detailed, but take longer to build, and can end up being quite heavy.  If you don't mind my saying so, you probably shouldn't look at building a larger model if you cannot put in the time due to medical appointments or hospital stays.  (I can offer that little bit of advice, because that is my current position.)

As to what type of tug you want, there are plenty out there on the market, ranging from logging tugs, harbour tugs, ship handling and mooring tugs, offshore and ocean going tugs and platform support ships;  old steam tugs or modern tractor tugs, and everything in between, in full or partial kits.  At least one supplier even lets you customise your kit purchase so you can buy as much or as little as you want, and build the rest yourself.  Your choice.  Or you can scratch build the whole thing yourself if you can get good hull plans.

I take it that this is your first foray into RC model tugs.  Do you have any experience with other types of RC modelling - trains, other types of boats or ships, aircraft, etc?  If not, you will have a lot of learning ahead of you - but it isn't too difficult.

Good luck with your tug endeavours.

Des

rctugman

Good day Des,

What a superb reply,I  very much appreciate your feedback on my ideas...Yes I can see why you may think the cart before the horse..But I really need to get the support apparatus/services in place.I have enough money as we speak to get the things I need and would like to get things underway shortly ,but it all relies on other folk helping me.I am not totally helpless(yet) so I can do bits myself(limited)

The lakes (3) are joint ownership so no issues there,because of the fluctuating water levels their will be no permanent fixtures I will if necessary set thm up at the start of the day IE bring the gear down in the cart then the boat!

Glad you like the cart idea,I intend to have the 2 x ends removed(they are detachable) and replace with wooden ends cut to shape and edges with the pipe Foam insulation (Or similar)

I was thinking of using the mini anchor set (Its for kayaks) to anchor a small pontoon or just a Buoy which I could tie up the TUG
just off shore not easy entry to lake so waders may have to be used.?

re walkie talkies, well i think they are more reliable than smart phone (I am probably in minority here) smart phone signal not great where I live in the wilds. walkie talkie good at range which is 100 mtrs to house.they are waterproof. good in hand..Its just a thought at this stage.

The pendant idea is great and I know of it,but not easy to get it here in Norway,lot of hassle.

I must find someone to build the TUG for me ? as I couold not possibly undertake the work,I want a first class model about 1mtr long approx.with all the bells and whistles.I have looked at the ready to run models including the most interesting AquaCraft Atlantic II Harbor Tug and the Southampton e.t.c. but whilst they are exciting in themselves I feel I want a better model with good detail smoke,sound e.t.c. I am aware that these latter items could be added to the above tugs but having seen some of the tugs available to me I wish to go down the building route if at all possible?

Yep this is my first time with RC in general my life as been with Model Railways (all gauges & scales) but I have had a lot of big disappointment withe railway scene so have almost sold all my Gauge 1 stuff and about 60% of my mainly German railway collectables.the money raised from the remaining sale items ,is what will finance the RC tug!

Des I am actually looking forward to the challenge ,if only because I spend 24/7 vegetating, not doing to much,I need a reason to get up in a morning,I have not worked for nei on 30 years because of health.I can not adequately express just how motivated and excited I am by the thought of RC Tugs..I do so wish I had got in to the hobby years ago,,would have saved me a lot of heartache,and wasted cash during years of model railway frustration (very long story)

I must be honest Des This project will be my swan song! the last post so to speak,I will only get one shot at it..their will be no embarking on a lifetime of buying and selling & building..The TUG I choose will be it,so as you can appreciate I must get it right.
and even my Doctor and my wife's family can see a new me..as I was lowly sinking in to the abyss to put it mildly

I will stop now and look forward to hearing more from you,if you can spare the time,Their are a couple of what from my amateur eye look superb Tugs on ebay both from Germany at
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121618100645?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITand the other

*the above was built by a retired master craftsman in Germany

and the other at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221736954378?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Very Best Wishes Steve
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 23:35:13 by rctugman »

des

Hi Steve

The Netherland is a nice looking boat, if you are interested in modern tugs.  And it's a nice size at around 1.44m (but it will be heavy - say 15 - 18 kg with battery and ballast;  can you handle that?).  But is it worth almost 1000 Euros (plus freight)?  Probably, if you are looking for a fully built, ready to run model.  If I read the German text correctly, it looks like it comes with the RC stuff installed, and with the RC controller, so that certainly makes the price look better.

I can't say anything about the other boat - it's not my scene, and I don't know much about older steam tugs.

I understand exactly what you are doing, and why you are doing it.  My time hasn't run out yet, but I am spending more and more time vegetating, and less time finishing my own model.  Too many doctors and hospitals.  Good luck to you, and I hope you get to enjoy your model tug.

Des.

des

Hi Steve

I forgot to mention - when you get your model tug, take lots of photos and post some of them on this forum.  And post more photos when you get it into the water.  We all love looking at other member's photos, whether of model tugs, or of "real" tugs that they have encountered.

Des.

rctugman

Good Morning Des

Many thanks for your two replies which I have just this minute read.PHOTOS I am looking forward so much to taking photos of everything and my wife is a very keen photographer with proper camera so should be nice pics.

cheers Steve

rctugman

Hi again Des,

I really do thank you re your observations of the two tugs which I belive are superb! I could afford the Dutch Tug, but not at this moment? sort of set my heart on steam era(electric) TUG like the second one? but that would need everything added e.t.c. which is no problem for me f I could find someone to do the extra work e.t.c.But again do not have the money at this time a week or two more at least?

For something of the quality of those Boats I would manage the size//Weight

I sense we have similar concerns re health e.t.c.
My wife tells me to grab the moment,but I do find it very hard
I am hoping this TUG project will offer me something to uplift my spirits

all the vey best to you Des

Cheers Steve

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Hello Steve,

I can sense you tugboat spirit in your picturing your tugboat plying the lake. I also
planed far into the future of delivering my tug to lake and how to pack in around and all.

As Des said about the size. . . as the tug model gets bigger it gets into a major deal
to move it about and all. I know because I build tug models that are too big by most
standards and it requires planning to move it from one place to another.

I bought my cart or wagon or trolley a year ago and it has worked perfectly for me
every time I use it. For the price, design, and nice big tires, I recommend the one
you pictured as being your best tugboat moving tool.

Since you are going to buy your tugboat it is of course paramount that you not only
are thrilled with its presence, but that it takes care of you. There are museum quality
tugboats for sale here on the Forum and those watching your posts will all be glad to
help you with making any decisions about acquiring yours.

Of the 400 or so tugboat minded men I know, most are in my age group, I'm 72. It seems
clear to me that our tugboats do indeed have a spirit that is strong enough to work as
a sort of meditation on our aging bodies. I can't think a better activity than experiencing
the rigors of building, buying, and owning one's tugboat. Like some other activities,
tug boating allows one to smile on the "inside". . .

Me and several others will be looking for more pictures. I want to see your tug secured
to its buoy. I love anchors and buoys.

Thank you Steve for sharing with us here on the Forum,
Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

rctugman

A Very Good Day to You Michael.

I have waited a while before replying to your last heartfelt post,as I felt it deserved a good answer as it was so  so well written.Wish I could write like that,I simply wish to thank you ,your comments really reverberated with me,as you really hit the nail on the old head

I am afraid I either write to much with to much waffle! or to much detail,I am not a very lucid writer,and really do find it very difficult to write what I really want to, and keeping it to the point and succinct
I simply want the best Tug Boat I can possibly get within a certain criteria?

At this moment their are several,what look to my amateur eyes really superb Tugs on EBay,but unless someone could vouch for the quality e.t.c. I would not dare risk buying such an item from EBay.In the past and due to over enthusiasm and naivety have spent a small fortune and lost an awful lot of money on bad purchase (model Railroads) and as my wife is the sole breadwinner in the house and my guilt runs deep! I need to get this 100% right this time around really is my last chance for more than one reason!

Glad you like the wagon it costs about $100 here in Norway.I intend to have the ends removed and  2x wooden cut outs inserted for the tug to rest on.

I promise either me or my dear wife Jo will take some really good pics as soon as it is all up and running.

I used to get very exited about Railways both real and model..but never have I felt the way I do since I really discovered this wonderful world of Model RC Tugs >I spend 24/7 (almost) researching,collecting and thinking about TUGs and its given me a new lease of life Michael,it really as..And I know without any doubt that this is the right thing to do, and the right(final) time to do it...

I also keep an eye on the German tug pages and Ebay.de for slepper (tug) they to have some wonderful models for sale.

Martin over on the Model Boat Mayhem as kindly offered to help advice me also which is really superb.

I need shortly to decide (with help) what I should go for TUG wise? I would not mind buying pre loved model as long as it was first class and contained the latest electronics including smoke and sound ?lights e.t.c.

So anyone reading this please feel free to advice,suggest options e.t.c.

Once again many thanks Michael

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
I haven't read all replies but beyond the cart, getting your tug on the water is the critical part.

For my Robbe Odin (1.15m / probably 18kg-ish) I'm using two straps on a PVC frame to get the boat in and out of the water.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ann71BNxslc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ann71BNxslc</a>

Skip to 04:50

Tug is "ready to run" (ie: batteries, ballast, superstructure ...) and is probably on the upper end of what I could handle in terms of weight. While I'm not an athlete, I don't have any health issues: but holding 18kg (that's 12 1.5-liter bottles of water) at an arms length is quite demanding.

Another option is of course to put the hull first, then add the batteries ballast and top it off with the superstructure. But this requires a pontoon or a somewhat decent access to the water. From what I understand that's not exactly your situation.

I see two options:
- designing / building a system that allows you to launch a "big" tug, suitable for your access to water. Can require some work
- choosing a tug under 1m to keep weight down so that you can handle it on your own

rctugman

Good Day Calimero

Really good to hear from you,That is a very interesting way to get your Boat in the water.Yes I can quite imagine 18 kg is quite a weight
Think I maybe able to cope but maybe a little lighter would be better.Not sure if a pontoon would be practical in my case, as I would have to take in in & out
Yes I think a slightly smaller tug will be ideal

many thanks for the video

Regards Steve

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
If you get a tug like the 1:20 Smit Nederland I think you might have to consider that its ready to go weight is likely to be more than 40Kg,(one builder quotes 45KG see web site below)  the battery alone as quoted in the specs is between 11 to 12 Kg on its own. Most of those with the larger boats consider the battery and ballast as seperate items to be fitted at the lakeside. Just thought I should mention the true weight of a model of that size, as us older members seem to find that things seem to get even heavier as we age.

http://www.modellbauskipper-euregio-aachen.de/Baubericht%20Smit%20Denemarken.htm

Denmarken sister tug of Nederland and Zweden
Syd J

rctugman

Good Day FsASTSyd1
Many thanks indeed for you kind and most helpful reply, Yes you are quite correct at that kind of weight I would really struggle I think

I know I must cut my cloth accordingly I suppose looking at the Quality of the Smit Nederland it is this the quality of the tug which is the most important thing to me.As I may have said at this moment and of late on ebay their have being,what on the face of it were to my eyes Superbly-wonderful RC Tugs on sale,but as I have said  before I would never consider buying on EBay without safeguards and expert advice..Amazing about the battery weights

Once again many thanks

All the best Steve

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
Hi Steve, like so many things in this world it all depends on size, staying with a Smit Nederland type tug if you go for the smaller (Still 87cm long) Billings version you could end up with a complete model at around 10kg. Even if you decided on 12volt operation a sealed lead acid battery of 7Ah would weigh under 3kg much easier to handle. However  like most other things "The decision is yours", go for whatever you fancy and the members of this forum will help you in more ways than you could think of.
All the best.
Syd J
Syd J

rctugman

A Very Good Morning Sid.

I really can not thank you enough for you most helpful replies,and I sincerely mean that.I am afflicted with constant doubt and worry,that I will make expensive mistakes!..so it was alwaays with the Model Railways Bug,so having folk like your good self pointing out the potential pitfalls e.t.c. is greatly valued.

For example because I have never really seen any RC Boats,well not in this league anyway,I really did not have any comprehension of the sheer scale of things,,when you told me about the Smit Nederland being approx 45 Kg i could not believe it,quite shocked me and made me think.

I am now focusing on the different scales and possibly putting a under 1mtr limit so the 87cm Billing would be fine.As an aside I heard a while back that billing ,although one of the better known and oldest companies their quilty control varied quite a lot? is this correct Sid.

No matter I need to find the best Tug for me,so I require all that help you mentioned Sid

look forward to hearing more in time

best Wishes Steve