Author Topic: Guidance on Launching Equipment & Associated Accessories Help Apprected?  (Read 25012 times)

fastfaz

Hi Steve,
     Nice to see your planning ahead, don't be offended but please do not buy a tug from Ebay unless you can see the boat and the way it has been built and finished preferably with someone with you who knows what to look for (I speak from experience). I have sent you some photos some time ago of my boats and my advice is to look at something similar under 1 metre as the bigger they get the heavier the are and more grief in handling them. On a lighter note I have just finished a barge to tow and the maiden voyage is on sunday, only problem will be that the barge has no brakes (no motor) and I have never towed anything other than a trailer and caravan! I'll let you know what happens.
      Keep your chin up and look forward to tugging.
          Kind regards,
              Peter.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

rctugman

Hi  Peter

Very nice to hear from you.
No offense taken at all,because that is exactly what I said in earlier posts that I would never buy from Ebay unless an Expert RC Tug Modeller was familiar with said boat and thought it was well worth buying.It is to risky especially for amateurs like me..
I have experienced no end of problems with railway stuff !!

And once again fully appreciate the points you made and others to be fair about watching the size,I certainly will,yes I saved your advice and Boat pics to file and they are still very possible options as long as I can find a top builder

best wishes Steve

P.S.

Good Luck on sunday towing...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:39:08 by rctugman »

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Hi Steve,  have been following your thread with interest.  I have a Smit Nederland that I built about 20 years ago.  Have added a few gizmos to her.  Working radar antenna, working tow winch, lights, but not sound or smoke units.  Got my curiosity going re weight.  Decided to weigh her.  16.8 lbs  or 7.2 Kg.  Use the two strap system under the hull to launch and retrieve.  A lot to be said also about your access to the water.  A warf a couple of inches above the water level makes for a lot easier task.    A note to Peter.  Barge towing requires a bit of anticipation.  A really good stern bumper helps.  When I am towing, I use my winch to real in the barge so that when I want to slow down, I don't run over my tow line. (have done that a few times before getting a working winch)  Keep asking those questions Steve as there is a ton of info from experience tuggers.

rctugman

Good Evening olscuzbut

Really appreciate your kind and helpful reply,much appreciated..I just love pics of these superb >Tug Boat Models..Your boat is not to heavy what scale is it please? how long?
many thanks for sharing.I could look at them all day.Just makes me more determined if that were possible to make the correct choice for mine.

Very Best Wishes Steve

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Hi Steve,  my Smit is a Billings boat with an abs hull.  It is 1:33 scale, and 34" long by 10.5" beam.  If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Norm

P.S.  Working tow winch.  Upgraded stock props from 3 blade to 4 blade and 1 size larger.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Oops!  Sorry, the first winch picture, is the winch on my Amsterdam tug.

rctugman

Good Morning Norm

Very nice to hear from you again,very much appreciated.I do thank you for the pics..and also the info re your smit.

I seem to recall reading something,and maybe you can answer a related question? the article was basically reviewing Billing Boats..and basically it said the quality wavers greatly

Is this/was the case or unsubstantiated rot

best wishes Steve

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Hi again Steve,  Keeping in mind it was 20 years ago that I built this tug, and it was only the second kit I had built, but I don't recollect any problems I had.  The only wish I would have is that they used a finer sanded plywood, as it took a lot of sanding and filling to make it smooth.  I understand from comments from more recent guys who have built this kit that they now use a finer sanded ply.  Would be interesting to see how the current kits compare to my old one.

rctugman

Hi Again Norm

Many thanks for you reply re the billing Boat.It would indeed be very interesting to see how the old and new kits compare? Talking of comparison...if their were three makers who were ahead of the field in your opinion or anyones come to that,which three would top the table,and of course I refer to TUGS only

all the best Steve

fastfaz

Hi Steve,
      Has to be Mobile Marine Models 1st and 2nd (Brian is a fountain of knowledge and so helpful and Tugs are the main product), 3rd Model Slipway (excellent build instructions). Personally I prefer fibreglass hulls as, being a chippie by trade, I understand the problems associated with plank on frame and immersion into water. Take your time with your choice and listen to what the guys on here will advise you with. Keep on tugging!
        Kind regards,
             Peter.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

rctugman

Good Evening peter
Great to hear from you,much obliged.really is most helpful knowing how the land lies re the RC TUG Companies

Many thanks Steve

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Hi Steve, 
Having only dealt with 3 different kit manufacturers,  Billings, Artisania, and Graupner, I would choose them in that order.  Built the Smit Ned, Calypso and Emil Robin from Billings, Amsterdam from Artisania, and Elmshorn from Graupner.    So, although I have seen some very nice tugs out there, I'm not able to voice an opinion on them.

Norm

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
Hi Steve,
             Kits, I rather suspect that if you asked a group of modellers about kits, you would get a recommendation and a complaint about every manufacturer who has ever produced a kit. The name Kit itself seems to have been applied to offerings that depending on ones age, one would have doubt about calling it a kit. Although the era of a box of wood with, if you were lucky, enough marking for you to cut out a rough approximation of the part required seems to be in the past, The term kit as advertised now seems to cover a range from a few GRP or plastic mouldings for under 100 to others having virtually everything needed at 500 upwards, not forgetting additional cost of Radio equipment batteries etc. However depending on the builders skill, and there are some very skilled people on this site, superb models have been made from the few parts to the full kits. Having said all that here are a few of our local UK sites with offerings you might consider,and no doubt more will come from other members.Not sure about the major companies, Billing, Graupner, Robbe as there seems to have been many changes with them recently.
All the best
Syd J

http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/TugKits.htm
http://www.modelslipway.com/
http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/
Syd J

rctugman

Good Morning Sid & Norm
Once again many thanks for your most useful answers..as before much appreciated.

Alas the dream is no more due to circumstances (will not bore you) I will not be able,regrettably to go ahead with the RC Tug Dream!

Probably for the best in retrospect.

I would most sincerely like to thank everyone who have been so kind and understanding..and shown great patience

Keep On Tugging!

Steve

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
Hi Steve,
            Sorry to hear that, however like anything else in this world, the decision is yours, based on what you feel you are capable of or wish to do. If at any time you feel that you might like to try to a lesser extent, grab one of the Richardson or Southampton  almost ready to run tugs, ready made, comes with everything including radio in the box. Only 53cm long, about 2kg, but quite well made and with a couple of extra batteries would keep you entertained for quite some time each day.
All the very best.
Syd J
Syd J