Author Topic: Rated current for motors  (Read 1474 times)

overthesea

Rated current for motors
« on: April 20, 2015, 13:29:03 »
I am trying to find out what ESC I need for my Sun tug I am building. She will run on 6 volts and I need to know who to find the correct ESC. I saw somewhere on the web a diagram of how to do it using a multimeter but for the life of me cannot remember where. Any help would be much appreciated.

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: Rated current for motors
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 14:32:14 »
While no expert on this having only done a whopping 2 RC tug builds,, its mostly about matching voltage and knowing the minimum amps required if I am correct.  No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be.  The maker of the motor can steer you to the right ESC. I am using a Viper Marine 20 amp ESC on my big Slipway tug, on their recommendation. Its a noisy little bugger but it hooked up easy and it works. On my first build I am using a Duratrax ESC and it works fine too. One of the more knowledgeable types will chime in soon I am sure.

des

Re: Rated current for motors
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 15:46:05 »
A very simple method to determine the maximum current (not necessarily the rated current) using a multimeter is as follows -

With your meter set on OHMS, measure the motor coil resistance by placing one lead on each motor terminal.  Then it is a simple calculation -

Amps = Voltage / resistance.

It is highly unlikely that your motor will actually draw this amount of current (unless you jam a prop).  So it's a good guide for selecting your ESC.

Des.