Author Topic: Mfa Motor problem  (Read 1592 times)

The Mate

Mfa Motor problem
« on: May 14, 2015, 16:36:23 »
Hello guys

I'm running my tug on tank steering using two mtroniks ESC of a 12v battery powering two MFA 6:1 geared motors.

Tonight i noticed that the starboard motor seems to be a bit jittery when full astern is applied. I've calibrated my radio gear to the esc on both motors but still the starboard one seems jittery. This only happens in the water on this particular motor.

Anyone come across this problem, if so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Martin
Never hit the beach with both anchors home!

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: Mfa Motor problem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 21:43:13 »
Hi Martin,
Have not encountered this as I run both motors from a single ESC but if you swap the esc's to the opposite motor, does the problem stay with the same motor, or does it switch to the other motor.  If it is still the same motor, the problem could be that motor or prop linkage.  If it switches to the opposite motor, then the problem is in your esc. or possibly the wiring to that ESC.  Just food for thought.

Norm

des

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 00:14:10 »
Hi Martin

I'd look at your coupling between the prop shaft and motor shaft;  then look at the prop itself.  One or the other is likely to have worked loose (unscrewed itself) under the full reverse torque applied.  I lost a prop that way - fortunately it was in the bath while undergoing initial water trials.

Des

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:46:22 »
or is it a gearbox problem??
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!