Author Topic: UPDATE on Carol Moran model and barge  (Read 2451 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

UPDATE on Carol Moran model and barge
« on: July 23, 2015, 18:00:15 »
After fitting chain bridles and surge chain to my barge, I found a new prop for the tug as well. I was very limited to what I could find due largely to shaft size. In the end I could only find at least semi locally, at Harbor Models, a 1.2 inch diameter 5 blade brass prop. It looks great on the boat and I hoped it would add some thrust to the boat. I believe it did. Here is a pic of the prop on and a link to a vid of it towing today in the next post.

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: UPDATE on Carol Moran model and barge
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 18:03:13 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63UdqmH9tz0

Here is vid of her towing today. Barge is now fitted with chain and being towed with new prop. I do believe it does pull a bit harder than it did with the one inch 3 blade it had. Its only going to pull so hard with a small motor.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 19:16:28 »
A beautiful prop for sure. . .and the video is inspiring for me. How cool to watch
your tug do its job so well. It looks right smart towing the fine barge right along.

Thank you for sharing Scott.
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 20:14:27 »
Thank you Michael!

Making and posting pics and vids is half the fun of this I think.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 15:06:48 »
Going back and looking at vids thru this process, there is no question but that the new larger 5 blade wheel does pull the barge faster than the second prop, a 1 inch 3 blade brass.  Recall that the first wheel was the supplied 2 blade plastic 1 inch. 

With the boxed in rudder in my other thread, its less clear if its any faster with the barge but it certainly has more rudder power and handles the barge better alongside.

Here is today with the boxed in rudder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2iJ1v2Tbfk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 19:54:47 by tug-arlyn-nelson »