Author Topic: New To Me Mr Darby Hull  (Read 3028 times)

splinter2

New To Me Mr Darby Hull
« on: August 02, 2015, 03:07:16 »
Hello All

It's been a long time since I messed with r/c boats, but I am back at it.

I have just acquired a Mr Darby hull and a set of plans and I am checking out all the options.

A few questions ...

Would you go for fixed korts, or steerable?

What size prop ... 3 1/2, 3 3/4, 4"?

Given all the new technology out there ... stay with brushed, high torque, or go with brushless motors.

Also, I am after some ideas, thoughts, on water ballasting. Would you use tanks with pumps to fill and empty, or use tanks with a hole in the hull and an air valve at the top?

Also, any links to Darby build threads ... some of the older ones seem to have gone away.

Cheers

Tom

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: New To Me Mr Darby Hull
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:26:43 »
Hello Tom, good to see you here at the Forum. Congratulation on your Mr Darby,
a super tugboat project indeed. I will also be watching the answers to your questions
as they come in here for you. A good selection of basic beginning ideas for your model.
Imagine receiving the best advice from hundreds of members who paved the way for
the very best Internet Model Tugboat information, right here.

A pleasure to meet you Tom and Welcome Aboard,
Michael in Anacortes, Washington
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 05:50:08 »
Hi Tom
I bought one of these 2-3 years ago and planned to do a rebuild (not quite there yet!). I found quite a few posts on the RC Groups site - in the Dockwalk forum. You can do a search for Mr Darby and probably back in 2013 or so the posts will appear. I had a quick look just now and there are some complete build postings.
If you get lost - let me know and I'll send the direct links.
Good luck with it.
Mike

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:52:56 »

Sorry - Dock Talk - here is the link -

http://www.rcgroups.com/dock-talk-56/

Mike

splinter2

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:05:40 »
Thanks for the welcome and the link.

I have joined the r/c groups and will read the info later.

I have washed the inside of the hull with soap and a course 3m pad and I am going to put a smoothing coat around the inside later today.

Thanks again

Tom

splinter2

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:21:03 »
I decided to do up Mr D as it more or less is at the present time, so the first thing I have worked on is a stern roller.

After some measuring and thinking and more measuring, I cut a large hole in the stern and then filled it up again. This is how it currently sits ...

Still more work to do on that, but I am going to finish it off when I have done the rest of the work on the hull. For now, I will work on installing the drive line, rudders and skeg. I will make them this week.

Tom