Author Topic: Liveaboard  (Read 1644 times)

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
Liveaboard
« on: September 22, 2015, 00:20:23 »
Does anyone liveaboard ...or would like to liveaboard...their tug, boat, ship, yacht etc

Advantages ?
Disadvantages ?

Ok, so I like a drop !

CGAux26

Re: Liveaboard
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:37:10 »
Years ago I owned a 42' Grand Banks.  Had dreams of living aboard.  But family, work, too much household baggage, etc. prevented it.

Advantages:  No property taxes. If the neighbors bug you, move. No grass to cut.

Disadvantages:  Too little space, living with diesel smells, no storage space.  You can lose your home/boat to a hurricane.

My cousin lived aboard for many years and seemed happy with it.
Dave

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 13:58:24 »
Tugs53 (name from the past!) lived on a couple for a number of years. See if you can contact him. He's up the coast somewhere and I see photos from him on Facebook.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 15:37:30 »
I have given your question some thought Chris. Mike rounded it out pretty well. I lived
aboard the Coast Board 95 footer in Ketichikan Alaska in the early 60s. A bit different
from choosing to live aboard and having to live aboard but roughly, I couldn't do anything
of interest. I did rebuild a 303 British rifle and I read a lot.

I bough a 27 foot cruiser in 72 and lived on it in the Port Townsend, WA marina. . .that lasted
about a week. . .again, it turned out to just be a floating bedroom.

My idea of living on board is to own a 150 foot ocean going tug. Have lots of money so I could
have it dry docked and painted when necessary, you know, change out an engine now and then.
And, happiness is a full tank of fuel couldn't be more true. Hmmm, money, money, money-
sort of takes the quality out of living aboard.

In the years I worked on small ships at sea, it was a 24/7 checking that everything was alright.
I'm just going to vicariously walk around the decks of my model tug and live aboard. . .trouble free.

Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 18:46:33 »
You're probably right Michael. They say that when you own a boat the 2 best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

CGAux26

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 07:39:59 »
You got that right, Monkey.  I have owned 5 boats over my life:  17' sailboat, 18' ski boat, 21' fishing boat, 42' trawler, and 32' sport fisherman.  Much fun and good memories of each. 

Now I own 3 model boats, a barge, and one under construction. 

Advantage to the model boats.  No slip rental, insurance, trailering, haul out and paint the bottom, engine maintenance...  Just the quiet fun of building and running on a pond occasionally.
Dave

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:13:33 »
Bin' there, done that!!!

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 15:32:28 »
I owned a 30' motor launch here in New Zealand for five years, sold it two years ago as I just could not make time to justify keeping it.

Longest I stayed on board was 5 or 6 nights in a row but being a small ship you are alway worrying about things and then you have the yealy docking, anti foul and motor repairs etc.

I was glad I did it, year it cost me money but unless you try it you will alway kick yourself if you didn't. I got to see some great little places, not ocean explorations but poking around bays and coves. A way of leaving the land behind for a short time and all the worlds problems.

Always been a model boater and always will be. Sold the boat and bought a miniature steam loco I could keep in the workshop. Figured my $5000 a year on marina fees and fuel, let alond the travel would buy something I could keep and use closer to home.

Now I want to build a small steamboat!
VANYA