Author Topic: Build thread, Yorkshireman, Irishman  (Read 20078 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

Build thread, Yorkshireman, Irishman
« on: November 10, 2015, 20:31:01 »
Had a few pieces out looking things over, just sort of fooling around when next thing I knew I was putting things together! Oh no! Well one thing leads to another and for the moment at least I am back in the build mode. Here is the start of things.

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: Build thread, Yorkshireman, Irishman
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 20:32:55 »
And a few more.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:04:37 »
Hi Tug,  I know what you mean ,one little look leads to another tug finished,you may have to look for another one for you winter project,   Geo
Tugs are for life      George B

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:11:33 »
I'm working on running gear myself and your pictures have given me some
new ideas. And, that you surprised yourself and got involved quite well is
what I am seeking also. I'm sort of in a "stall" and so it's good to hear that
you got the fires going by just tinkering a bit with your build.

Thank you S.,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:43:24 »
Yeah, I was sort of inching into it bit by bit. I hung the plans up about 2 weeks ago, pasted the picture of the tug on the wall so I would be reminded of it, and then got the parts out and next thing I know, bam!  Working on it.

Funny thing is I was sort of planning on getting a bigger boat for cruising in but then I thought about all the work involved in getting a new boat and how it would cut into my model building time and said the heck with it.  I already have a little boat and don't hardly use it, so why buy a bigger boat to not use much?  I may go bigger later, but for now NADA.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 21:01:57 »
Still working around the edges a bit, got the foredeck glued down after fitting the anchor boxes. Cut out some aft deck hatches over the rudder posts for access, as advised in the instructions. Smeared some Bondo around the inner aft bulwarks to smooth things up a tad. Odds and ends.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 20:38:20 »
Worked on the foredeck bulwarks today, took some patience.  I followed the advice of the instructions and butt glued and taped together the two halves before trying to bend them around the nose. Even at that I glued one side at a time down to the deck and used lots of tape to help stabilize things while curing. Then cut and glued the gussets in.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 18:59:12 »
Good to have someone back in build mode. Might stir a few others into action.
No sign of summer done here yet so huddling over a soldering iron is a good option.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 23:07:16 »
Looking good,starting to take shape keep pictures coming.

regards John
john b

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 20:56:50 »
Here is a bit more, primed the hull today. Did some deck fitting work etc. Then tonight had a go at the electrics. After a bit of head scratching and double checking the instructions, swapping a few wires around and remembering to disconnect one red from the ESC's, I got it all working as it should near as I can tell. I have tank steering and rudder on the proper handles and it all makes noise. I admit to getting a little confused once or twice. Then when I got it all where I thought it should be, it was all backwards. I guess somewhere I got the RX connections mixed up and had to swap them again, but in the end, the left stick runs the left motor and so on. I have a mess of wiring right now as I just hooked up everything rough to see what it would take and can now sanitize and make permanent connections. Using a Futaba 4ch radio.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 20:59:56 »
Two more.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 21:01:25 »
and 2 more.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 21:35:48 »
Beautiful S. Your description of working your wiring was an exact repeat of my wiring
experience last month on a project, all backwards - do it again. I love it.

You tug pictures have inspired me to get to cooking on my steering setup. Really nice
deck access and cabin fitting. You make it look easy. . .thank you.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 22:34:17 »
Thanks Michael!  I found while doing this that the stbd motor mount is way off! You can see it in the pic. I don't know how I managed that but oh well, plug holes and move it.  I know the flex coupling allows for such boo boos but I want it to be at least close enough that you cant see any misalignment!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 22:44:01 »
Well it looks like you are really storming along with her now tug,the way you are going it looks like you will have her finished as a Christmas present,keep up the good work matey,   Geo
Tugs are for life      George B