Author Topic: Build thread, Yorkshireman, Irishman  (Read 16246 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: Build thread, Yorkshireman, Irishman
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 21:09:20 »
I don't know about Christmas, sort of shooting for February at this point.  Got my one motor repositioned properly now, painted my back deck, did some other fitting. Actually had to make a new panel as hull changed shape on me a tad when I spread it to its proper width, which should have happened earlier. Oh well, had some spare pcs big enough to do it.

Thanks George!

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 22:12:18 »
Got the electrics sanitized somewhat today. Spent some time getting the steering servo right. Finally found the right combo of arms and rod length etc. The main rod kept bending on full rudder. Swapped arms and got it right, but just to be safe I glued a length of brass rod to the main rod to stiffen it.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 20:40:55 »
Some may have noticed that the side bulwarks, wing walls, spray rails. whatever one calls them, on the Yorkshireman model are shorter in length than seen on any picture I can find of the boats. I think Slipway actually did add some length to them when they upgraded the model a few years back but it seems not quite there so I added a little more length to mine. Having plenty of leftover plastic I cut and fit about another 1.5 inches to both sides and glued them in place. I think it will add authenticity to the model. Oh and to make DM happy, I spliced a fuse into my wires between the motor's and ESC's.  Its a good idea, and I plan to retrofit a fuse line into my Assurance tug as well.

BTW,  I have a really cool GoPro vid of my Assurance tug replete with music from the movie THE KEY and as soon as I figure out where to put it I will post it here.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 17:03:57 »
Looks good S.  It seems like a never ending fitting and custom work on these
tugs. It sure feels good when you get it, finally, right. I can see you doing the
work as you tell the story.

Speaking of feeling good, here is the URL for your finished Assurance 39,
http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?action=notifyboard;board=34.0

Thank you for sharing S.
Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 21:22:03 »
Thanks Michael, If you like that, you will like this too.  If you look at pix of these boats, the heavy guard or belting as its sometimes known that comes aft from the raised foc'sle head, transitions into the first main deck guard differently than in the model version. So I took grinder, file etc and tried to copy more or less the real thing. You can see in the pix what I have done, and it will be ready for final finishing after it all kicks off. Also have the basic superstructure put together, but only the very basics of it, lots to do.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 21:23:24 »
and more,,

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 21:24:42 »
again..

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 21:25:44 »
housework!

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 20:26:17 »
Here then is the completed and primed mod I did to the bulwarks that is more in line with the real tugs.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 20:32:53 »
And here is the freeing port doors, however I must explain.  I did not cut the big gaping holes in the side per the plans. From what I have seen of this model, it sits quite low in the water when ballasted and according to several builders has a tendency to "lean" a bit when turning. This means a wet deck and having a couple of access hatches on deck, I don't want or need copious quantities of salt water sloshing around back there. Sooo, instead of cutting out the holes, I just cut the doors out and glued them on the outside and painted them. I will detail them a bit later but I really see no point in cutting them out. In fact looking at pix of the real boats, it almost looks like the doors are welded shut. Now I am sure they aren't as that would be illegal no doubt, but you don't see them running around open.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 21:44:31 »
Still hard at it, at least when other things don't interfere! I made another little change to the plans. On the real boats, there is a little overhang on the port aft deck over the winch house that projects over the windlass/capstan. You can see what I did there.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 21:46:04 »
And here is some stack detail, not complete yet.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 21:48:46 »
Aft cargo hatch detail, and crane deck with dive tank. I left off the slats that are supposed to go every which way around all the edges. A little too OCD for me today.

Both of these assemblies will be removable for access below.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 22:34:39 by tug-arlyn-nelson »

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 21:50:48 »
PH door detail and here is where I put a gusset not on the plans to help facilitate bending the bridge brow piece around.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 21:54:01 »
Now here is where I had some fun!  I forgot to paint the outside deck around the PH. The sides were easy, though I need to do a little touch up, but around the front of the PH is this little narrow deck so the deckapes can wash windows. That was real fun getting a little skinny brush in there to paint it. Pretty happy with how it went overall.  And the back of the PH.

And starting to look like a tug.