Author Topic: Tug windows  (Read 1166 times)

Graham D

Tug windows
« on: November 12, 2015, 00:39:04 »
I'm well into building a Billings Smit Nederland tug ( do I hear groans of not another one !) and am after advice as to the best way to make the wheelhouse windows. The vague instructions seem to indicate making a raised wooden frame around the opening and then gluing the plastic windows to the outside of this. Fine, except the frames wind up with square corners and the real tug has rounded corners on all the windows. I could of course round off the outside of the corners by filing or sanding, but the inside will still be square. I'm a fussy bugger and want this to look as much like the real thing as possible. Any suggestions ?????
Cheers
Graham.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Tug windows
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:15:11 »
Hello Graham. . .good to see that you are building the fine classic Smit Nederland. Like you
say, there are lots about them on the Forum here. I almost took one on myself.

I'm interested to read the replies you receive here. Round corners do make a big difference
in the look. The windows are sort of the "eyebrows" of the finished tug.

Welcome aboard Graham,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36:04 »
I've just googled a few images of the windows and many of them (including the Billing's site) have a thin frame on the outside of the glass, and the whole window sits proud of the wall.
I've made a few like that before and I made the frames out of thin styrene sheet, painted them, attached them to the 'glass' (with a glue that won't fog the glass) and then glued them to the model. Then you can either run a little liquid gap filler around the edges or just prime it and paint.
I've recently had some frames etched out of brass and that allows you to put in the rivets. Not cheap but really looks good and you can always include a few spares on the sheet to cover any mishaps.
What ever you do it's a lot of work but very rewarding in the end. Good luck.
Steve

des

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 14:16:37 »
I wanted rounded corners for my wheelhouse windows as well for my modified AZIZ.  I initially cut out the window openings with the rounded corners without any clear idea of how to make or fit the windows themselves.

I ended up squaring off the corners, fitting a "frame" around the outside edges, with a lip which slightly closed off the opening.  The windows were cut slightly oversize from 1.5mm clear acrylic (Perspex, plexiglass) then filed down until they became a tight, snap-in fit, then glued them in with a crystal clear glue - not a solvent, to ensure that the Perspex didn't fog around the edges.

The result looks like a fitted window with external frame (which it is), but with square corners.

It might be worth contacting a model railway hobby shop to find out how they do rounded corners for their scratch-built passenger coaches.

Des