Author Topic: Help! We are sinking!  (Read 6254 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
Help! We are sinking!
« on: November 18, 2015, 19:38:04 »
I've noticed that activity on the forum has been slowing down over the past 6 months and it has just about all dried up lately.
If it wasn't for George and Michael and couple of other regulars there would be no posts at all.
I checked the viewing number on some of my past threads and the first (4 years ago) had 17,569 views. The second (last year) had 6284, and this year's build has only had 1862. Seems to be that way on all topics. We're shrinking.
We have a great resource here in the Forum but if we don't use, we will lose it.
Guests: You are welcome here. Please register so that you too can contribute. We love photos of all models, boats and builds. You don't have to be an expert. Advice is given quickly and gently. There are some real experts in here, and from all over the world. Don't worry if your English is not so good, we don't care, nor is ours.
Members: Don't be shy. I seem to be making posts just to keep topics alive, can anyone else help out? I don't want to hog the microphone.
It's never been a better time to try and make a model tug there are so many great kits, plans, materials, new tools and technology, and experts on hand to help out if you get in trouble. I'd hate to see this little forum go the way of the local hobby shop or the dinosaur.
Steve

fastfaz

Re: Help! We are sinking!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 23:28:25 »
  Yo Steve,
        I have to agree with your comments re the shrinking. Personally (being of the Dinosaur heritage with computers) I find it difficult/impossible to post photos never being able to sort out the K, M or G bites or whatever they are called to the right size to post the photos. Some time ago I finished my Norton Cross and at present I am in the middle of re building an Eldergarth (think Sow's ear into Silk purse) because of not being able to post photos I have not set up a build log to bore everyone with just a load of words.
     Possibly other Forum members are having the same issues as Mr T Rex here.
      Cheers,
           Faz.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 00:10:09 »
 >:I agree with what Steve said,and must admit to having had problems posting pictures until I got a free image resized from the web,it is very sad to see the decline in posts and apparent lack of interest in this site,the other site that I watch is OK but it suffers from a lot of non boat related postings,which muddies the waters a bit,Myself I have had some family problems lately and have not been building or posting but I promise to be back in full again soon,so please join up,andkeep watching and posting folks.

Geo
Tugs are for life      George B

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:04:11 »
I check in and have a look on a pretty regular basis but I notice the west coast group that posted often have quietly slipped away. Tugs53 was very active and we've not seen him - Puffin moved away to the interior, couple of others have gone quiet.
Perhaps if others run across these guys - let them know we miss their photos and posts. I should post more of my slow builds as well!

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 11:19:33 »
Yeah, ya think?  The site has had its issues, posting and keeping photos is a big one. A lot of the pix we have posted in the recent past are gone from various threads.  Posting pix has become fairly easy though at least for me. I have a photo program called Paint Shop and in there I can size my pix down so they fit various sites. PhotoBucket is another that can accomplish this, and then they can be posted here and elsewhere with relative ease. I have a build thread right now in modern tugs for the Yorkshireman tug for those interested.

spud

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 14:48:01 »
Hi All,

I don't post often, due to work and family commitments  (like most people ) although I do enjoy reading the post's from other members when I get chance,   I will try to contribute more if this helps the site.

This year I have tired tug towing at a model boat club which has grown my interest in tugs and this is a great site for information

thanks to everyone who keeps it going

spud

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 23:39:24 »
Well Faz, I happen to be quite fond of dinosaurs. Pictures of your Norton Cross and Eldergarth
would be valuable for many here on the Forum.

If you join this photos site, free, "Photobucket":    https://secure.photobucket.com/register
you can upload your pictures and have them stored there and then you will have a URL for
each one to post in the "Insert Image" option above.

Now, if you are indeed a T-Rex, you just have those tiny little arms and so the Photobucket
routine might not be right for you. So, if you would email me your pictures, I will resize them
and put them on my "Storage" website page and send you your pictures URL for posting on
the Forum here. It would be my honor to do so. . .tugboats are forever.

I can't post my email address here. However,  I will be most happy to help you and others.
So, I will tell you all where my email address is. This way, any of you who could use a hand
posting pictures can look me up here- http://twotugboats.com/Parking_Page_for_Uploads.php
My email address is on this page several time. I'm pretty sure there is nothing for sale
on this page, I only share pictures of my tugboat building which is not as high class as the
tugs here on the Forum.

As to the topic you have posted here Steve, I am researching and preparing my reply.
I really want to offer my findings along with the others here. I'm doing some math by
comparing your numbers with my tugboat sites numbers for the last four years.
I was surprised at the almost exact "withering" statistics between the two.

Thank you Spud for pledging more interaction. . .I read your post and was moved to do as
you are going to do, thank you.

Excellent Steve,
Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 01:08:30 »
In the impressive photo above, I see a merciful and beautiful ending for
the ships and tug's of the world. . .trees growing out of their sterns.
as verses being a pile of rust and rot on the bottom of the pond.

Yes, our Tugboat Forum here reached a peak a few years ago, as best
I can figure, and it will balance out soon, if not already. According to
my research using Steve's research figures, there is a correlation between
my small site's counter and the Forum's counter with regards to the
last 4 years records.

My counter averaged 556 visitors a week four years ago. It dropped
all of a sudden in early 2014 to an average of 162 visitors a week.
Today, this year 2015 my visitors per week averages 121. I'm pretty
sure my site has reached its balancing point and will stay at this
average for the rest of my tugboat loyalty.

I sell big model tugboat drawings as a way to cover the costs of my
free site's pictures for anyone in the world building a tugboat. My sales
of drawings have followed the visitor statistics perfectly and I would venture
that the income for maintaining this Model Tugboat Forum has followed suite.

I'm not saying that the loss of money is any part of the decline of visitors
participation here. However though, for myself, I don't mind paying for a labor
of love and dedication. . .although some day I will run out of money.

What happened around four years ago that might account for this shift in
the interest of building one's model tugboat even on to those already building
their RC tug? Figuring from 2016, just down the street of time, back four
years, I would make in around the year 2013.

In 2013 my rent was $450.00. Today it is $650.00. My pay per hour in 2013
was $12.50 an hour. Today my pay is $12.50 an hour. Everything from food
to medicine to lawn seed has gone up 25% and I'm pretty sure that the same
has been happening to the average tugboat minded soul here on the Forum.

Again, not the money is the cause, in my opinion. I searched the events of
2013 and other than it was found that people can become addicted to doughnuts,
there was nothing that would apply to our tugboat Forum's change in pace.

So. . .I made the statement a couple of years ago that I know why my site
took a nose dive "Counter Button" wise, ". . .the reason is that I have ran out
of old guys like myself who really dig tugboats enough to build one."

Counting backwards from today to 1945 is about 70 years. I showed up in 42
and am 73 or if you showed up in 49, you are into being 80. The average life of
a man today is 75. In my opinion, those of us who were born in the 40s have
a unique outlook these days with regards to tugboats and modeling their spirits.
I think that the bulk of serious old tugboat guys are being overcome with
the health of their loved ones, the grief of young family members troubles,
and just finally wearing out. When our tugboats have to start collecting dust
because we are barley able to keep on keeping on, it will show what a huge
effect the war had on all of us a children. Men at Sea in Strong Ships and all.

Just me. . .I would really like to thank the owner of the Model Tug Forum here
for starting such a winner. It may not seem like it but this Forum is not only the
very best in the world, it's members are and always will be tugboat lovers.

Like in the picture above, even dead tugboats give me the thrill of the sea. And,
I don't care if there are trees growing out of my tug's stern, I'll find out how
to repair that here on the Forum.

I apologize for the long winded post but I want to be honest and move on
here on the forum and hope that the new tugboat fellows will indeed come out
and join their fellow tugboat builders. And for those of us who are tired,
there is no place else to go but to keep on tugboat building.

As one of our Forum's members states - Tugs are Forever

Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

des

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 01:30:01 »
Hi Michael

I think the reasons are simpler than you suggest.  We had that crash around Xmas - New Year, 2013.  Traffic dropped off for a while, but then largely recovered - until another crash at Xmas - New Year 2014 as a result of which many previously posted photos simply disappeared and haven't been recovered.  Traffic dropped off hugely after this second crash, and hasn't recovered.  Then, the "barred site" issue two weeks ago ...

I think that many site users simply gave up due to the crashes and loss of photos.

Des.

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 02:11:35 »
I can understand anything with elect...... in its name having problems, but no doubt being of an older brand (Start date 38) i always come back to see if it is working again, whereas many these days seem to assume that if it is not working today it is not likely to work tomorrow, offshoot of the not working throw it away society maybe? Earlier talk of photographs, anybody ever sort out why the posting of same is so hit or miss, is it us or our Damn computers or is it the site. As an instance of us or them why have i got the names of the smilies but only a box with a symbol, not the smiley. Back to photos, don't think I have seen any from the IMBS on here this year, anybody get some, Sciatica leapt up and bit me in the B*m so I didn't go this year. 
Can't help thinking if this forum sinks one of the finest will be going.
Best regards.
Syd J
Syd J

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 06:16:50 »
Hear Hear Sydney and Micheal,being a bit if an oldie myself I have always found the tug forum as a way to share my models and interest easily,but as you say since the crashes it seems to be slowly sinking we do no even get any posts from tug master himself,has he had problems or lost interest I wonder?
We must try to keep afloat just for the sake of us older members as a way of keeping in touch with our hobby and interest,it is nice to see what is happening tug wise across the world in reality and miniature.
Look after yourselves chaps.  Geo
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:30:52 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

mengam

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 04:12:58 »
Hello

I think that many site users simply gave up due to the crashes and loss of photos.

I'm in that case. 

By the way most of the subjects presented here are also on other reliable forum like Mayhem or RC group. 

Finaly crash after crash tug and towing chapters on those sites and other are more active than here. 

It's a real pitty but just reality.

Mengam

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 18:48:05 »
PUFFIN ; I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO LOG IN FOR WEEKS . I WAS A MEMBER FOR ALMOST TEN YEARS , AND A ADMIRAL POSTER . IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME OUT PLEASE . 

puffin     glen newmeyer

KEMO

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 05:29:33 »
Hiya,
        I know of someone who wants to register on the site, as he wants info for his Portgarth build but is unable to register, he has tried many times but cant seem to get through.

Keith.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 07:20:33 »
Hi Glen,  It has been a long time since we heard from you.  Appears that you have found your log in problem.  I think we all have been experiencing some weird problems now and then.  Good to see you are back.

Norm