Author Topic: Working fire monitors  (Read 1988 times)

Kev30

Working fire monitors
« on: November 27, 2015, 15:37:20 »
Hi there
I've been looking for some working fire monitors but at the moment have been unable to come across any I wonder if any members have any advice???
I was given a nice working Robbe fire monitor approx 1:32 scale except I need 4 for a future project and I'm unable to get hold of anymore Robbe monitors, I've seen some nice white-metal ones online but there not made to have water running through them has anyone got any tips/advice?

Regards
Kevin

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Working fire monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 17:14:29 »
Very interesting Kevin. I also would like to know a bit about fire monitors
since I know nothing now, I can only go up with what you find out here.

Thank you Kevin for a good subject,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 21:58:14 »
Hi Kevin,  have not seen any working monitors for sale.  Pretty simple to build from brass tubing.  Made one for my Amsterdam.  Used an aftermarket car windshield washer pump mounted in the bottom of the hull.  The deck monitor is connected to a servo to allow it to swing about 40 deg's either side of center.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 22:02:57 »
Outstanding Olscuzbut. . .what a beauty. Sort of takes your breath away. . .

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 23:40:37 »
Many years ago I built 4 working monitore for my Mearsk Master type suply ship.

The tube was 1/4" copper which I filled with leadshot and heated to run and cool as a soild metal. This allowed the tube to be bent very tight without crushing in the bends. After the bending was done the tube was heated and the lead run out leaving a hollow tube(s). The bends were soldered together to give the correct twists and a nozzle inserted on the end.

Looked much better than what was available and worked.

Just watch when using molten lead, can be dangerous.
VANYA

cobby

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:40:49 »
I have recently bought some from Mobile Marine Models  they have several type's all working.
 Give Bryn a call or go on the website. :)