Author Topic: PK Harris tug "Salvage Monarch"  (Read 7237 times)

NickelBelter

PK Harris tug "Salvage Monarch"
« on: November 29, 2015, 00:38:26 »
Transferring a build thread over here as I think some people might appreciate it. 

This is my build of the ''Salvage Monarch'' in 1/32 scale.  Despite saying my next model would be something fast and sporty, I reverted to what I know best.  Got the GA plans from the current owners and worked out the chine layout from those and pictures, actual builders lines are long gone.   I'll do a couple posts of images a day until I've caught up with where my progress is actually at. 

NickelBelter

Re: PK Harris tug "Salvage Monarch"
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 00:42:31 »
The hull uses 6mm Baltic birch frames and keel, sheeted with 1/16 Baltic .  Without a proper workshop, I had to farm out the cutting of frames to my dad, who wanted to try his kit-built CNC router.  It seems flimsy to me, but then again on my last tug (see the Orient Bay thread) I cut my own planks and could only get them down to just under an eighth-inch, so that was really overbuilt. 

TERRY

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:21:42 »
A very nice clean, neat and tidy job. Well done. Looking forward to more photos.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:01:37 »
Very Neat like Terry said keep pictures coming
john b

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 12:42:40 »
Your Dad did a pretty good job on those ribs.
Did you draw them up?
What program did you use?
Steve

NickelBelter

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 15:15:56 »
I used Adobe Illustrator to make a vector (line) drawing of the completed frames.  His CNC program is capable of using a variety of proprietary vector formats as well as CAD files.  I was going to get them laser-cut originally but he insisted, and I'm a sucker for free things.  I used the GA plans to figure out the 'height' of each chine transition from the keel at each frame location, then looked at photos to guess the angles.

To allow for servicing the rudder servo and shaft coupler, I made a frame for a flush hatch that screws down.  Originally it was going to be plywood, but the piece was warped so I've switched to plexiglass. 

NickelBelter

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 14:18:25 »
Got an enormous 2800 rpm motor from a surplus joint in the US... thing weighs nearly two pounds by itself!  Still, the second pic shows just how much more weight needs to be added to bring the waterline down close to scale.  I have filled up empty spaces fore and aft with shot 'tanks' and the rest of the weight will be two removable cylinders in the stern and the 15lb battery, to make transport easier. 

NickelBelter

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 14:24:32 »
I want a working winch, but can't possibly build a miniaturized version of the full-size winch, so I have a gearmotor and drum underneath the removeable plate and am currently sketching out the dummy winch on deck from photos the owners provided.  The line will wrap several times around the drum then pass down thru a hole to the actual winch.  The towing hook is brass and copper soldered together with threaded studs holding it down. 

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 15:16:01 »
Hi Nick,  I built my working winch with the actual workings under deck.  However I found that it worked better if I only had the tow line over the upper free wheeling drum rather than wrap it a few times as it would some times wrap on itself and hang up when letting out.  I filled the free wheeling drum with tow line to look like it was the working tow line.  May have some pics some where if you are interested.

Norm

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:12:06 »
Nice build. Looking forward to your updates.
VGJQ

NickelBelter

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 19:40:17 »
Getting close to the current state, here's the deck plated with styrene and several key bulwark supports attached.  This allows paper templates to be made, since the bulwarks not only angle inwards but change angle from bow to stern. 

The 'Monarch' wore many paint schemes since first arriving in Canada at the end of its delivery voyage.  I'm leaning on the tricoloured old Groupe Ocean scheme from around 2000: 

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 20:42:32 »
I think you need a bigger wheel! Better drop the skeg..LOL

NickelBelter

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 01:23:41 »
Hi Nick,  I built my working winch with the actual workings under deck.  However I found that it worked better if I only had the tow line over the upper free wheeling drum rather than wrap it a few times as it would some times wrap on itself and hang up when letting out.  I filled the free wheeling drum with tow line to look like it was the working tow line.  May have some pics some where if you are interested.

Norm

I ran across a picture of your build (the Smit Nederland) and I couldn't tell the line wasn't around the drum!  Very clever.  If I have to do that, at least it won't be very noticeable.  I take it the drum still rotates when the taut line moves against it?

The prop is already big enough... when i got the plans printed out and measured it I was bowled over, 4" prop on a 36" model! 

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:34 »
Yup.  The upper drum is free wheeling and spins very easily.  The friction between the tow line and the simulated tow line on the upper drum allows it to turn easily.

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert's Website
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 14:06:26 »
.......actual builders lines are long gone

You might be interested to know that Burness Corlett were very secretive about the build plans for their hydroconic vessels. Once the vessel was constructed, they went back to Burness Corlett. The builders never kept them, and the ships' owners never got them.

And, having checked extensively in my efforts to locate the plans for 'Meeching', it seems that all original plans for the Harris built hydroconic tugs are, as you say, long gone. GA plans and photos are all that we can go on.

Salvage Monarch's superstructure is unusual when compared to many of her stablemates, but the twin exhaust uptakes and the hull form are unmistakable.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet