Author Topic: PK Harris tug "Salvage Monarch"  (Read 7238 times)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: PK Harris tug "Salvage Monarch"
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 15:12:01 »
Good looking tug. Especially the hull.
MIKE

NickelBelter

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 17:35:48 »
.......actual builders lines are long gone

You might be interested to know that Burness Corlett were very secretive about the build plans for their hydroconic vessels. Once the vessel was constructed, they went back to Burness Corlett. The builders never kept them, and the ships' owners never got them.

And, having checked extensively in my efforts to locate the plans for 'Meeching', it seems that all original plans for the Harris built hydroconic tugs are, as you say, long gone. GA plans and photos are all that we can go on.

Salvage Monarch's superstructure is unusual when compared to many of her stablemates, but the twin exhaust uptakes and the hull form are unmistakable.

When originally built, she was outfitted more for salvage than general towing duties.  Pyke Navigation ordered her just before the Seaway was enlarged to take (then) full-sized ocean going ships, probably expecting a surplus of salvage work as traffic crammed into the system.  She had a derrick for handling salvage gear out of the large forward hold, a twenty-ton steam winch forward and an eighty-ton winch aft, all powered by steam (builder's preference or engineering limitation?) and supplied by a diesel-fired boiler.  These have all been removed over the years, but you can still see the brackets for the derrick on the forward ventilator.  All the GA plans are for her as-built, quite remarkable that they have survived so many alterations, but unfortunately that is one of the reason's I'm going so slowly. 

NickelBelter

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 14:27:19 »
Bulwarks are on and almost all of the supports have been fitted, save about 4 around the bows.  I also put on a caprail and sanded everything down level and smooth.  Next up is the lazarette cover, bitts, Samson posts and gooseneck vents before I start on the superstructure.

doug james

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 06:19:28 »
Good looking tug, and good looking build.

NickelBelter

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 00:52:08 »
Work progressing slowly but surely as I wait for additional information, reference pics and materials.  Focusing on the main cabin and winch as I have pretty much everything I need to complete the detailing on them; once I get more brass rod to make gooseneck vents, I can prime and paint the deck and then the hull. 

NickelBelter

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 18:01:10 »
Now it's time to get the hull finished and pilothouse attached while I wait for reference pics of the interior.  Below the waterline will be a matte tan colour to simulate mud and silt build up. 

NickelBelter

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 22:48:00 »
Hull painting done, now I have to get some reference pics of the pilothouse interior

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 23:33:53 »
HI THERE HARRIS TUG ; The way they do it in MOVIES ,IS THEY use women's  make-up then shellac over it .       PUFFIN 

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 20:17:09 »
I think I've seen that woman.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 23:11:04 »
Very nice build,i like all the detail on her
john b

NickelBelter

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 23:58:02 »
Very nice build,i like all the detail on her

Thank you, I am just trying to keep up with all the top-shelf builds posted on here :)

NickelBelter

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 10:42:51 »
Sunday the 8th was our club's annual Regatta; I put the 'Monarch' in the water for the first time.  Apart from being down a bit too far in the bow she floated well and ran beautifully.  The Dumas coupler stood up to the forces of going full throttle with the big four-inch prop and the winch was able to hold the line steady even under full throttle.  None of the towing gear suffered any damage and I was able to pull a brick into the pond, as well as almost pull in a small child. 

I am just waiting for interior shots of the pilothouse from the owner so that I can detail it, paint it, then seal it up to paint the outside.

NickelBelter

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 22:36:50 »
What a difference paint makes!   Here's the up-to-date progress, all that needs to be done now is to spray the upper deck colour and touch up a few spots of the white.  Installing lighting comes after that. 

Question:  When a vessel is running at night, are the deck lights usually on?  I have several 3mm orange bulbs to use for deck lighting, but I dont' know if they should be on the same circuit as the R/G sidelamps and white masthead/stern lights. 

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 23:58:20 »
Well she IS looking good.Over here we normally used to run with deck lights out unless actually towing,the loom from the deck lights can spoil the vision from the wheelhouse,especially if it is a bit misty.
But on the models it may be prudent to have them on the same circuit as the Nav lights to enable you to pick her out among others sailing at night.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 00:00:57 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

NickelBelter

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 00:34:31 »
Ahh, I'll just get another switch so that I can select them on or off, depending on how I feel.