Author Topic: My dads trip to Homer, AK from Seattle  (Read 2570 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

My dads trip to Homer, AK from Seattle
« on: December 02, 2015, 15:42:49 »
Back in 1962 Western Towboat's tug Sally S, an old wooden tug of about 75 feet and app. 400 HP, made a trip to Homer from Seattle. Skipper owner Bob Shrewsbury, my dad was Mate and other crew was a friend Jean Bair, and a young fellow Charlie Washburn but I don't know what ever became of him.  Here is a couple of pics of them crossing the Gulf of Alaska in good conditions, towing I think an old converted LCI (Landing Craft Infantry) barge.  From left to right is my salty looking old man, Pat Stoppelman with the pipe, middle is Charlie Washburn, and on the right is the owner of Western Towboat Bob Shrewsbury. And one of Shrewsbury on the bridge of the Sally.

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: My dads trip to Homer, AK from Seattle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 15:46:18 »
Here is another shot showing the tow and the other character Jean Bair with pop and CW.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 22:03:18 »
Test photo

Wow...the test photo passed the security tests.
This is the first pic I have been able to post in decades!!

Hope ya like it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 22:05:07 by tugs53 »
MIKE

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 22:31:28 »
Hi Tugs!  I was just emailing with Ric Shrewsbury about the site you got that pic from. The info they have on there is wrong. The Sally S and the Triumph are not the same boat. Triumph was built in Oregon in 1889 and the Sally in 1927. They have a lot of erroneous info on that site and I have sent several corrections to them but they always come back as undeliverable. Western did own both boats but not at the same time I don't think, though I was just a kid when they owned them. You probably know the tug BEE, that they also owned, one of the oldest tugs on the West coast. I made a trip to the gravel pit with my dad as skipper and the other man was a fella named Cliff Thompson, another local tug man. I was about 13 or so on that trip. BEE is still around I believe though long retired. There was another boat very similar to the Sally called the Seakist, not sure if they were actual sister ships, but looked very similar. I knew a fellow named Leon Wiess who owned her for a time, that was years ago when I was a shipwright in Ballard, Seattle.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 15:02:53 »
Nice to hear from ya!
Yup...the BEE is still around I beleave...and up in Alaska...but not sure what kinda shape she's in. Was a mighty pretty little tug as I recall her.
Here are some pics of her:

BEE in 1967 in Seattle. (I think Mark may have taken this pic....)

BEE in 2005 (according to the flickr site)
MIKE

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 15:06:58 »
...and the BEE in 2014 in Wrangel, Alaska.
113yrs old now I guess.

Is it me..or is her profile lower?
Could be the photo though......
MIKE

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 16:24:56 »
Yep, that's her allright, old, old boat now.  Looks a little saggy maybe in that AK pic, but its her.  I always had this running argument with Bob Jr at WTB about what pulled harder, the BEE or my dads Inverness. Bee drew about 6 ft of water or so and had later in life a 240Hp Cat, while my dads Inverness about the same length but drew 10 ft of water and had a 220 HP Atlas.  My dad ran both boats and knew what they would do. He said the Bee would run away from the Inverness with a scow, but in a head wind or a log tow no comparison, the Inverness would dig down and pull the pants off of the BEE.  Bob Jr.  and I bantered this back and forth a lot.   I hope the pic below shows up of the Inverness, this is before we owned it. Dad sold her in 1971, the last tug he owned.

The pic showed up I see. It didn't have that fore mast extension when we owned it.  That lifeboat you see there became my Lake Union rowboat!  It was 12' long and I rowed that thing all over Lake Union and the ship canal, Portage Bay to the Ballard Locks. I used to love to run out into the Lake when it was blowing and row against it until I was wore out, then turn around and surf home, What fun!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 16:29:45 by tug-arlyn-nelson »

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:50 »
Here is a picture and website I found for the Sally S. She is in very good shape
and still making a living as a "Rent your tug" tugboat in Seattle. www.tugsallys.com

Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com