Author Topic: Was I lucky tonight!! Thank you Dave Milbourn  (Read 1418 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

Was I lucky tonight!! Thank you Dave Milbourn
« on: December 09, 2015, 19:55:55 »
I have more than one thing going on in my garage/shop than just models and things get a little cluttered and awkward at times. Today I just had a feeling that things were approaching a danger zone but didn't listen to the smarter little man in my head! So I had my Futaba TX sitting under a table saw that had model stuff and other stuff all over it and I walked by and my coat snagged a couple of things and bam! it all fell over on my TX!  Horrors!! In the process I knocked over some solvent used for cleaning brushes so had to clean that up too. Worried about the TX I figured I better fire it up and test it to see if all was well. Soooo, I quickly put the batt conns on, but nothing worked when I turned on the TX. OH NO thinketh I!  My TX is toast!  Well, then I remembered seeing a little spark when I hooked up the batt terms, and had a second look and OH NO again!  BACKWARDS!!!  Well that's it I guess, its all fried now. But then panic subsided when I remembered that for once I had listened to those with more experience than I, as I had fused the wire between batt and ESC's. So I swapped batt connections, changed out the two burned 15amp fuses, turned on the TX and man oh man it all lit up like a Christmas Tree! I really like those little blinking red and green lights on the Mtroniks ESC's, and they were looking real good about now. So thank you Dave M for making a strong point about fusing the batt wires or I would be ordering new ESC's about now instead of typing this!  You saved my sorry butt!

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
Re: Was I lucky tonight!! Thank you Dave Milbourn
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:43:33 »
My fear is I could do the same trick with the disaster zone / workplace! Time to do the clean up on the weekend.
I've followed Dave's advice and added the fuses on my models. Always amazes me at the pond when someone says they don't need them.
Thanks for reminding us and we're happy to hear that the lights are on.

fastfaz

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:37:29 »
Yo TAN,
      Who's a lucky boy then! maybe its an early Xmas present. I have just set up the three ESC's on my Eldergarth and they are all new also they come with an inline fuse holder fitted to the + supply wire. The Eldergarth has a bow thruster and is twin screw and never having wired a boat with three motors I went for an "Action electronics" P102 distribution board and boy did that make it easier to put together it even came with a wiring diagram for my set up. The P102 also has built in fuses so the Eldergarth has two safety zones just to make sure.
     I hope you get round to tidying up your workshop if only for safety reasons.
        Cheers,
            Faz.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 21:34:46 »
Thanks for the "fuse" reminder S. I have also had accidents in my shop that acted
like "Rube Goldberg" scenarios. One thing knocked over, it hit the paint brush
handle and splattered paint, and of course I was working on the neighbor's
rocking chair for his Mom. A fuse wouldn't have saved the day then but as Faz said,
if I had tidied my shop up a bit better I wouldn't have given that nice rocking chair
the "white spots on Maple" look. . .

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 01:49:01 »
Gentlemen
It's a pleasure to help, and even nicer to get a 'thank you'.
Dave M