Author Topic: SMIT NEDERLAND 1:50 BY ALIMURIMETA  (Read 3919 times)

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
SMIT NEDERLAND 1:50 BY ALIMURIMETA
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:11:03 »
Hi, I update you on the site smit nederland. After having plastered the hull foam've done sanding. The end result does not satisfy me, because the foam is too soft, and putty is blown away too many points. I decided to remove the hull, removing the foam and keel and recovering. Using extruded polystyrene from building, from 50 and 20 mm thick, I printed out the profiles of ordered on self-adhesive paper and trimmed the edges with a cutter. So I ordered the paper on polystyrene and cut all with the TERMOCUTTER. The blocks of polystyrene I then inserted between frames pasting with glue aliphatic.
The photos will describe even better what was said.

Saluti ALIMURIMETA
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:35:24 by ALIMURIMETA »
Francesco G. alias ALIMURIMETA

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
Re: SMIT NEDERLAND 1:50 BY ALIMURIMETA
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:18:27 »
Hello, another small step in the construction of the hull of the nederland. I sanded blocks of polystyrene finally getting a hull clean enough and regular. So I gave the usual coat of epoxy grout.
Now I have to wait a couple of days to make harden well and proceed to sanding and finishing of the details of the hull, before proceeding to the realization of the silicon rubber mold.

SEE YOU SOON

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 03:22:16 »
Another little progress in the realization of the hull of the smit nederland. So I finally filled and painted the hull master polystyrene. I applied some details to the hull as the bases of the rudders, kort rings and axles for propellers. What did I finally tackled the silicone rubber of Prochima, type tixo. I have prepared about 400 grams, to realize first hand the rubber mold.
I gave it a second coat of rubber, reinforced it with gauze for bandages.
here are the pictures of what was done.

Greetings

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:27:00 »
Here are photos of a night of trouble in the laboratory. I finally managed to pull the rubber skin from the counterpart and then remove the skin from the hull master. As expected from a friend of mine expert dies, the skin has adhered to rubber vacuum with counter. To remove it I had to drill it in more 'point and shoot compressed air. After a time, always by force, I managed to remove the counter fiberglass skinned rubber. I noted with great regret that were trapped air bubbles in the rubber, they have ruined a bit the mold surface. Never mind that you will detect imperfections on the hull laminate the'm going to remove with sandpaper.
We sincerely I had imagined that this technique was more 'simple and rather made me work quite a bit.
Now I have to laminate the hull clone, giving first a single gel coat to all the rubber mold and then apply glass cloth and epoxy resin.

See you soon

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:33:50 »
Finally, after much work I got to the point that the lamination of the hull that'll use to build the model. Then I gave him a nice fat hand of epoxy primer to the entire rubber mold to make sure that the surface of the hull know pretty smooth once removed from the mold. Once the fund has pulled that has partially dried, I started rolling using glass cloth weaving from 80-150 grams / square meter and glass mat 250 g / sqm. After giving the last layer of fabric, the resin was almost dry when I gave him a brushed with epoxy to give a 'most' "professional" to the hull. Now I have to be up a couple of days to solidify everything well and then unmold the hull from the mold.
With fingers crossed, hoping not to have done something stupid.

After waiting all weekend, tonight I'm off the laboratory I continued in the mold. After removing the "hood" of the silicone rubber, I have "peeled" the rubber from the hull laminate. As I had already guessed, the hull has some imperfections and "lumps" of gelcoat caused by air bubbles that were trapped in the rubber during the filling of the hull master.Per luck the gel coat is not hard, then sand down enough easily. I noticed that in some places the tire has a little limp and consequently the hull laminate took the folds do not want. I solved this problem with a coat of epoxy putty. The photos show the "Three Musketeers" or hull master, the mold with the fiberglass hood and the hull laminate with the bridge provisionally applied.

Greetings.

TERRY

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:28:26 »
Very nice work. Looking forward to the rest of your build.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:48:18 »
Wow!  A lot of work to get that hull.  Watching with keen interest on your progress.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 13:06:50 »
Looks great, well done.

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 04:08:20 »
Hi another small advance of the shipyard nederland.
I drew with autocad the pieces that make up the helm baker. In practice I did sliced horizontally the helm in 10 layers. I made 5 layers with a profile with the hole for the hinge and 5 layers with a profile without hole for the hinge. Then I glued the layers one on 'more to get the shape of the rudder. The parts were laser cut from a sheet of plexglas 5 mm thick. Always plexigals I made the blanket perforated laser, replacing the wood as it is more 'easy to finish and waterproofed.

Some photos of the details of the rudder baker. I've made using a piece of a brass zipper and brass rods from advanced kit rotterdam

kort rings are used to increase the power of thrust of the propellers. I made them realize plastic by an micro mechanics. I realized the grooves with the milling cutter for the base of the rudder and the lock ring fixing to the hull. The first I realized by a square-aluminum. The second by a length of beech suitably trimmed.
Here are the pictures of what indeed said.

Greetings
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:13:47 by ALIMURIMETA »

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 04:15:04 »
Hi, I started assembling the crossbars that support the sides of the smit nederland. I glued with epoxy grout the deck to the hull. The junction is solid. For safety, I did a test with a piece of Plexiglas waste.
The plexiglass is proving more and more 'a very well material and easy to work. I milled, polished and cut with the tunnel without any problems. It is also much more 'easy to bend to plywood.
Here is a photo of the above

CIAO CIAO

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 04:19:31 »
Hi, I have dedicated myself to the construction of the deckhouse smit nederland. I cut with the laser the various pattern pieces from 2 mm thick Plexiglas. I used glue for bonding of bostik for rigid plastic. To shape the sides of the deck I used the technique of the candle in the jar. To check the temperature, I put a wet cloth on the jar. The white pieces are rigid PVC waste recovered from the installation of the fixtures of the house

CIAO

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 04:29:13 »
Hi, I stayed away from the lab, but I still dedicated to the construction of the details of the nederland. In particular, I drew and cut with the plotter "home" the frames of the windows of the wheelhouse. The profiles I've recovered from the general plan, then I have redesigned the program vector plotter and then I have "data feed" to plotter that cut perfectly all contours. As film I used one you buy for a few euros in hardware. Here are some photos of the cutting phase. More will follow those of the application frames of the windows.

I mounted the wheelhouse windows and applied with the silhouettes vinyl

This is the final result after painting

CIAO

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 08:06:46 »
Very nice workmanship.  Would be interested to see how much all the upper superstructure  weighs after all completed.  Plexiglass has a fair weight to it.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 21:01:31 »
Very impressive and valuable sharing work and pictures of building your tug Alimurimeta.

You gave me a clear understanding about creating a mold of one's tugboat and the setbacks
you repaired inspired me to take care of my superstructure problem which is small potatoes
next to the work you performed. I needrd a push and your work gave me one.

Your rudder construction answered for me several nagging questions I had about building
mine. I can now kick some rudder butt with no problem.

Thank you Alimurimeta,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 00:29:30 »
I thank all of you for the compliments. Actually was the visit made by the viewer in this forum, that made me love tugs. Share with other modelers their experiences and tricks, is a wealth for all. When I started doing modeling, I took a lot from the forum. Today it's time to give back what I have learned.

Another step in the construction of parts of the winch. I used my mini-lathe for wood and some grinding wheels to realize the electric motor of the winch and bollard pull.
Here are the photos

This is the towing hitch

Regards