Author Topic: 37' LCT Build  (Read 4244 times)

Robert Leckie

37' LCT Build
« on: January 24, 2016, 14:44:13 »
Hi to all,

I have finally started to build from scratch a 1/32 scale of a 37' LCT barge. Years ago I was working in the Pacific Islands of Vanuatu and we hired an LCT to move our equipment to the northern end of the island. This took 5 trips and I was quite impressed with the way LCT's operate back then and still today.

I searched the net and found a company in Australia that builds LCT's and was fortune-it to find that some drawings that had the length width and depth. Fantastic!

I set up an XL spread sheet, opened a scale calculator and set to. Not quite finished yet but getting there. I have up-loaded the XL sheet and will continue adding as this build progresses.

I'm moving back to Dunedin NZ soon so there will probably be a big delay.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: 37' LCT Build
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 15:34:00 »
Hello Robert,

Thank you for sharing here at the Forum. I am very interested in your LCT landing
craft build. When I was in middle school I lived on the water South of Seattle on
Puget Sound. I worked with a man who used an LCM 45 footer that he hauled a
D-7 Cat with a pile driver attachment. He build retaining walls for the waterfront
homes next to me in the summer of "55".

He left it anchored out in front of our house that winter and it iced up and and
I watched it sink. It is still sad to watch it go under in my mind's eye. . .

So, take care of moving and all, myself and several others I am sure are anxious
to see your LCT come to life here in pictures.

Good to meet you Robert and Welcome Aboard,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Robert Leckie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 17:17:55 »
Thanks for that. Attached (I hope) is a LCT working in Vanuatu now so it will look similar (I hope)

Also I have attached a side profile of the LCT

Bob

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 21:53:14 »
A nice side view of an LCT Robert. However, I think it is a "custom" LCT Mk5 of
the 114 foot class not a 37 foot "Higgins". Actually, the one in your attachment
has a lot more class that the smaller one. . .just me.

Ok, I'm back to tugboats, see you later Robert,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Silververfern

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 14:19:05 »
Hi Michael,
I have been lucky is getting a copy of 1/32 scale Austrailain Army landing barge. I will not build the army version but will use the plans to build my model. I have now bought some 9mm ply to use for the riibs. The plan does not show any internal keel but I will build mine with one.

So I have finally started.

Bob.
Bob