Author Topic: SDM TUG Salvador Dalì by alimurimeta  (Read 11074 times)

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
SDM TUG Salvador Dalì by alimurimeta
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:24:13 »
Hi all, I open this topic for you to see the phases of graphic design of my current work. It is a new type of harbor tugs, ship docking module, characterized by the propulsion system consists of two schottels drive staggered along the center line of the hull. With this propulsion is possible to make any movement, also the transverse translation. For this reason, the sdm tugs have the form of a sleeve giant.
The design covers both the hull and the propulsion system.

Indeed today the model I almost passed, as the site has been ongoing for several months. Therefore if there impressed many post quickly
Greetings, ALIMURIMETA
Francesco G. alias ALIMURIMETA

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
Re: SDM TUG Salvador Dalì by alimurimeta
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:29:48 »
Hi everyone here is another photo of the block construction phases of the tug Salvador Dali.
I keel and printed on paper and pasted all on a panel of MDF 6mm advanced from its cabinet home. With the tunnel I cut the pieces of the hull. The MDF is easy to cut and has no defects or chipping. Also in this case it is at zero cost
With the aid of row and brackets I glued the ordinates and the terminals of the bow and stern, This model has two fins of drift that serve to stabilize when lateral translation

Once you have the skeleton of the hull I started cutting and posizionamentop blocks fill between frames, polystyrene thermal insulation

Ciao Ciao ALIMURIMETA

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:34:15 »
Hello everyone. I applied a coat of epoxy grout from the body to the hull. The dosage of this grout is very easy because it is 1: 1 by weight. To conserve km of sandpaper, sanding the hull to remove the putty plentiful I did wet and after 7 days after application putty, so that the same is completely cross-linked, so nice dry.

I also had a hand to superstructures. The achieve with polystyrene from 1 mm (plastic card type). For cutting use a common size balsa sharp. To give the right forms to the various pieces of the deck, I made masks cut vinyl stickers with the cutting plotter, which apply on the sheets of polystyrene. In this way the parts are very precise.

Regards

ALIMURIMETA

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:25:56 »
SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH. I'M LEARNING

So, another brief update from the yard sdm tug.
I spent half the afternoon to polish the hull after waiting a week after grouting epoxy. Effectively giving some time to the grout to crosslink completely, was an advantage. Sanding was quite fast and without consuming meters of sand paper. I applied a strip of plastic card to the hull to simulate the edge of the true where are installed rubber fenders.
With a little patience I assembled "dry", ie only with tape, the wheelhouse, to check the shapes and proportions. Looking good

I used epoxy resin and fiber glass for the reinforcement of the hull. The resin has a pot life of almost a 'now, so it's no hurry too. First I cut out a piece of fiberglass from 50grams / square meter, slightly larger than the hull. Except I prepared resin (ratio 100: 25) per 50 grams. To wet the glass fiber, I used a roller to paint the walls, obviously smaller

Greetings and see you soon

ALIMURIMETA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 15:47:54 »
Looks good. What scale is it? Did you have to add more depth to the hull to allow for the motors and batteries?
I wish I could say that my models had "zero cost". I hate to think what the final costs add up to.
Steve

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 23:41:02 »
Hello Seamonkey, the model scale is 1:43. I chose this scale to standardize the measurement of the SCHOTTELS graupner. When I build a model I try to recycle all the materials that I have in lab, but making a budget, are always at a loss. Only the two schottels cost me nearly 200 €.

Greetings ALIMURIMETA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 11:51:42 »
I have Graupner drives on my SGM and they are not very strong. The point where the steering arm attaches is very weak. And the clips that hold the nozzles in place are also very weak. One of mine broke after very little use – and I'm always very careful when moving the model.

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:12:41 »
Hello Seamonkey, i had read in the forum that the schottels graupner are fragile, but the alternatives are much more expensive. Currently my Italian friend is building from scratch three schottels for its AX104 model. But he has a metal lathe, and great experience of metal working. I do not I can afford it, so I adapt to what the market offers economic.

Ciao Ciao

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 06:52:26 »
Hello, another update shipyard tug SDM.
I glued the bridge, with epoxy resin, made of 4 pieces of plasticard 1 mm thick.

With the usual self-adhesive templates vinyl I cut the sides of the stern and the bow and its uprights.

Ciao Ciao, ALIMURIMETA
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:55:51 by ALIMURIMETA »

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 09:55:36 »
Nice work, very ingenious!

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:59:29 »
Tanks tug-arlyn- nelson

Hi, as mentioned in a previous post, I show you pictures of the mechanical propulsion and maneuvering.
I decided to change the system of rotation of the SCHOTTEL proposed by graupner. The toothed barbell clove is weak and does not allow a complete rotation through 360 °. I found in a shop model car rc of the toothed crowns used for the couplings of the gears. I bought two 80 teeth 0.8 module. Crowns I fastened with three screws to the bracket to the disc that came with the servants.
To fix the servants, I made a small castle in plywood and aluminum, resin that will be to ensure maximum strength and adhesion to the hull. The servos will have to be mounted upside down, to make dovetailed crown and pinion SCHOTTEL. The trick to have slightly increased the draft of the hull (about 10%) has assured me that the servos do not touch the compartment cover RC
The first reduction stage of the engines has been realized with a pair of cylindrical gears. The ratio is 1: 3.3. To protect the gears will realize a casing with plexiglass transparent, to be able to always see the status of the teeth and their lubrication
The second reduction stage is provided by the bevel of the SCHOTTEL (1: 2). So I have a total reduction of 1: 5.3 which seems to work very well in the models of sdm tug already made in this scale.

Ciao Ciao, ALIMURIMETA
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:01:10 by ALIMURIMETA »

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 04:09:42 »
Hello, I received the new radio, a taranis X9E, with whom I made the programming of the rotation of shottels. I spent a couple of evenings to the PC, using the management program sw radio, to understand how best to set the rotary controls already installed and the response of the servants. With patience I got a satisfactory result. From the perspective of "hardware", I had to replace the propeller of SCHOTTEL right, as both the SCHOTTEL had the right-handed helix (which is why the package was a spare propeller-clockwise). Without the amendment I put the model in the bathtub and I immediately noticed the difference in driving and maneuvering. With the two right-handed helices model tended to veer even with SCHOTTEL in 0 ° position. Bringing Shottel position + 90 °, the model moves but obliquely. With counter-rotating propellers left / right the problem seems solved. I can not wait to try the model in "open field" (pool of a residence near home) to fully understand the ability to maneuver.
Returning to the speech radio: I realized that the knobs of the potentiometers are a little uncomfortable, so I went in the electronics store near home and I bought a pair of knobs 25 mm diameter aluminum that are used in the DJ console. Unfortunately the hole for attachment to the pin of the potentiometer is slightly larger (6 mm against 4.5 mm of the pot) and the corn is too high and not good greenhouse on the pin. Therefore I decided to leave the original knobs and fix on these new ones, having widened the hole to make them fit on the original knobs.

This is e short video of first run of sdm tug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FR62vob1w

Ciao Ciao ALIMURIMETA

spud

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 09:02:49 »
Hi Alimurimeta

That is a fantastic build of a modern tug ,enjoying reading your posts,  will you be using it for towing ?
also a very neat installation of the drive and electronic 's , I have been looking at buying a new transmitter and like the look of the frsky taranis and waiting for the price of the frsky horus , what do you think about the build quality /performance of yours?  I had a robbe f14  before 2.4GHz,  wish I still had it :(

Spud

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 04:25:40 »
Hello spud, the radio control of FrSky seems good quality. I chose it for the great programming freedom of all input and output channels. I think the taranis X9E is one of the best remote controls in comparison quality / price with other brands
About the model sdm tug, i will use it for towing competitions, in Rome.

a little O.T. I launched this little steamer: Panderma of turk model, scale 1:87 (60 cm long 10 cm beam)

Ciao Ciao, ALIMURIMETA
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:27:49 by ALIMURIMETA »

ALIMURIMETA

• only tugs the bravest
    • AMIREL
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 06:01:32 »
Hello everyone.

Hello everyone, I show the processing steps of the two hull fins, sprinkled with spray putty  and polished wet

Ciao Ciao ALIMURIMETA

I dove in the realization of the accessories, not less important and interesting of the propulsion system.
I assembled rails using stanchions photo engraved "Made in Germany" and soldering tin handrail and lower currents.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:05:37 by ALIMURIMETA »