Author Topic: Lucky me! A new model.  (Read 1312 times)

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert's Website
Lucky me! A new model.
« on: February 21, 2016, 15:57:57 »
As some of you may know, I'm the official historian for the 1960 P K Harris built tug Meeching (hence my username!) as my late father was her skipper for many years. I've published several web pages about her on the Our Newhaven website - www.ournewhaven.org.uk - and have written a book about her, which you'll find at Newhaven Museum. Our Newhaven was contacted a few days ago by Mr Michael Summers, who was looking for a suitable home for a scratch built model of Meeching built by his late father-in-law, Mr F Davies. He wanted it to go to someone connected with the tug, so I offered to keep it 'in the family'. The model was kindly brought down to me today, just three days before the tug's 56th birthday.

There's great attention to detail in the build, and Mr Davies must have worked from photos only, as the only copy of the GA plans was held at Newhaven Museum at the time - it's now here with my master copy of the book. Inside, she will take a bit of updating, from 27MHz AM to 40MHz FM, and the mechanical speed controller will be swapped for a pair of ESCs. Apart from that, she's ready to go. As well as sailing her, I'll make sure that she forms part of Our Newhaven's outside presentations.

As I said, lucky me!

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
Re: Lucky me! A new model.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:43:12 »
Very nice to - keep up the good work
Syd J

des

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 23:21:12 »
I thought PK Harris were the builders in the UK of hydroconic tugs - hence I thought that Meeching would be hydroconic - is this correct?  If so, then the photos show a model with round chines, hence not hydroconic.

I also have an interest in hydroconic tugs - do you know of any model kits which feature the true hydroconic hull shape - preferably around 1:48 or 1:50 scale.

Des.

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:07:08 »
You're quite correct. The builder of the model didn't have access to a copy of the plans for the hull, he was working from photographs only. I assume he therefore used a stock hull. Above deck level, the model has a lot of accurate detail. And when it's sailing, nobody will see what's under the water. :)

I'm not aware of any kits with hydroconic hull forms. The only model plans I've seen for a hydroconic tug are for Meeching's near sister, the Dover tug Diligent.

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:15 »
A beautiful sunny and calm day at Eastbourne this morning, just perfect for her first outing with me.

I'm pleased to say that she handles beautifully. She has a very good turn of speed and would probably cruise quite happily for hours with just a tickle on the throttles. Given the height of the superstructure and mast, and the lack of bilge keels, I wondered if she'd heel in a turn, but was surprised to find that she didn't, even in a tight, full speed turn. Turning circle is impressively small and with one motor ahead and the other astern, she will spin on the spot. Even going astern is reasonably good, though as always it's hard to keep dead straight.

Her bow wave and wake are uncannily like the real thing, even though the hull form is round rather than hydroconic. I'll have to get busy with Photoshop to do a bit of colourizing.

All in all, I'm delighted!  ;D

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 20:02:07 »
Looks good on the water.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 20:13:07 »
She sails quite nicely! Nice photos too.