Author Topic: 1970s Diesel Harbour Tug 'RANGI'  (Read 18014 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: 1970s Diesel Harbour Tug 'RANGI'
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2016, 13:00:36 »
... and yes, I will have to cut out a section of the wheelhouse ceiling to glaze the windows. I didn't think of that one beforehand Doh!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2016, 13:02:36 »
I can never resist putting the pieces together to see what it will eventually look like.
Still plenty to do and it looks pretty rough at the moment but you get the idea.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 13:44:25 »
Looking very nice,I like the laser cutting idea,I still cut 3 MM ply with a Stanley knife.
Tugs are for life      George B

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 11:49:43 »
Steve.

Brings back memories if cutting out plywood for Karetai back in '87.  Also with a Stanley knife!

Are you going to kit out the wheelhouse. Map table and flag locker?

I will see if I can find the paper photois tonight otherwise I will photograph our one with the iPhone.

Whats changed in 30 year.

Nice.

Hayden
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 12:40:41 »
Yes, George, the last cutting certainly makes life easier. Just another tool and making the most of technology.
Hayden: Hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. Don't have any reference for the interior so was going to rely on tinted windows to hide things.
Had some time over the weekend and managed to give the build a good crack and added the lip to the top deck, some of the etched brass stairs, hand rails and deck plates/covers to the superstructure. Also cleaned up the surfaces and got a couple of layers of undercoat and filler applied.
At this stage I realised that the plans I had were not 'as built' and that the portholes were not in the same position port and starboard. A bit more filler and drilling new holes but I really should pay more attention to the reference photos.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 13:00:11 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 12:50:36 »
Skinned the funnel carcass with styrene and added the exhaust vents. I couldn't get the 0.5mm styrene to bend smoothly to form the curved front section of the funnel so it is made up of 3 layers of 0.2mm styrene. Worked out OK and is very solid.
I had expected the guttering on the wheelhouse roof to be quite difficult but it went on really easily. Glad I decided to add it, could easily have left it off. The wonders of CA glue! Couldn't do without it.
Still a way to go but it's starting to look the part now and there seem to be fewer blemishes after each session.
One more round of filler/sanding/undercoat and it'll be about ready for a topcoat. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 13:11:31 by sea monkey »

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 03:58:50 »
Steve. I had a look for those photos but no luck just yet. We have lots of them and they would be of great help.

The drawings were rather minimal. I will have another look tomorrow night.

HB
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 16:25:27 »
Thanks Hayden, especially after any photos of the anchor windlass. No idea what it looks like as every photo I have shows it covered with a tarpaulin. I'll have to decide whether to make a best guess or get some more research. The real boat now works out of Australia and the owners where quite helpful at the drawing up stage but I don't really want to hassle them anymore so might be a 'close enough' scenario.
Slow progress on the build at the moment. Making lots of fiddly little bits that seem to take ages. Spoke too soon about the easy installation of the guttering. Took most of a weekend to install the window frames. Made a real hash of it and had to start again several times. Took the best part of another day to make the 2 engine room vents. Got a box full of completed hatches, vents and doors.
I've assembled the funnel/mast and added the very small life raft rack and radar/running light brackets. Just about ready for last undercoat and topcoats.
The roof is not glued on yet as that needs to be painted the same blue as the deck. Too hard to mask up when attached to the funnel and wheelhouse. Also, the downpipes from the guttering won't go on until later.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2016, 16:27:13 »
Still need to make the lights, searchlights, radar and safety equipment, and trying to dodge making a decision about fitting out the interior.
Only major bits left to make are the anchor windlass and railings.

Tim B..

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 07:05:15 »
Excellent work ...

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 16:00:25 »
I haven't updated the build recently as I pretty much lost steam on it. Started with a hiss and a roar and then work and other thing got in the way.
I have been slowly and intermittently making little bits and pieces to go on the boat and there always seems to be more on the list however I'm back on the job now. First thing I managed to do was drop the bridge and break off the top of the mast Doh! It had gone together really easily first time round but the repairs took ages and needed lots of tweaking.
I hadn't had any reference of the anchor windlass but Phil (mermod) sent me a couple of images of another (Tasmanian) vessel in this class and using a bit of licence I came up with a reasonable looking windlass based on Phil's version.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 16:01:24 »
...and painted.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2016, 17:27:44 »
Also made a start on the railings.
I made up a simple jig/template for the flying bridge railings much easier getting the 3 rails to bend into the same radius this way.
The other railings took a bit longer than anticipated but I don't mind the whole soldering/filing process so it was a quite relaxing couple of evenings.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2016, 17:40:11 »
I've slowly been adding to the box of bits to go onto the boat. There is a completed boat in there somewhere. Only the lights (12), flying bridge console, life buoy brackets and speakers left to make yahoo!
From today there should be more going out than coming in.
Started placing the various components in place. First the deck equipment, then the fenders, then starting on the superstructure. As usual there is a order that things need to be done and as usual I find that I either haven't made something or need to remake/repaint something and the whole process stops for awhile.
Everything is waiting on the glazing at the moment, which is waiting on a paint touch-up.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2016, 18:05:16 »
The fenders went on much easier than I had imagined.
The fender rubber is a strip of foam rubber that I have had laying around for ages. That was stuck on with contact rubber adhesive. You only get one shot with that stuff so I was very careful when positioning the rubber. Worked out OK.
The fender straps and turnbuckle straps are the thinnest brass rod I could find.
The hull and deck are now just about finished. Added the fire-hose piping, engine room escape hatch, towing bow and capstan, and the anchor windlass and platform in the bow. The deck and its equipment are all the same colour so it all tends to blend in together, same with the turnbuckles on the fenders hard to see any detail I guess that works in my favour
Only things on the hull left to do are the tyres and I can't put them in place until the boat's name and hull markings go on and that is always the last thing I do in a build. Hopefully that won't be too far away.