Author Topic: Taonui -A sad tale  (Read 1363 times)

Aucklander

Taonui -A sad tale
« on: April 22, 2016, 19:26:25 »
I'll share the short tragic life of the small steam tug “Taonui" with you. Not long launched, she set sail on her delivery voyage to New Zealand and was never heard of again. She was a mystery for a long time and I have a feeling that her final resting place was documented recently. She ended her days quite close to you long long ago.

"Taonui" was ordered by the Gisborne Sheep Farmers cooperative and was intended to be used at the port for general ship handling and work.

They sent their own captain over to supervise the building and commissioning and to accompany her back to NZ. She was duly launched in 1913 and set sail never to be heard of again. Regrettably no pictures seem to have survived although an artist’s impression was published in the day and some profile drawings exist.

I’d love to see any pictures of her, but I guess she was too insignificant to attract much attention. I set about making a model of her but got as far as the hull and ran out of steam. Maybe this winter!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 19:34:08 by Aucklander »

Aucklander

Re: Taonui -A sad tale
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 19:36:09 »
Here is a contemporary plan of the ship. And that along with the artist's impression and Clyde builders' record is all I have.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:47:18 »
That really is a sad tale, has anybody ever found the wreck remains?
Tugs are for life      George B

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 15:23:00 »
That will make a great little model, Russell. If this winter ever finally gets here I'll look forward to some progress photos.
Steve

Aucklander

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 20:51:58 »
That really is a sad tale, has anybody ever found the wreck remains?
There were parts of the wreck that came ashore. I have a feeling that I saw something about her final resting place. On the Scilly Isles? Blowed if I can remember the reference. 

Aucklander

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:18:26 »
I actually got her name wrong: An old friend gently corrected me.
She was Toanui -whe name is a Maori name for a bird -a flesh footed Shearwater