Author Topic: A very deserved dedication.  (Read 885 times)

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
A very deserved dedication.
« on: May 06, 2016, 18:52:28 »
In my opinion there is no more fitting than this person to have his name put on a research vessel. A truly remarkable person.

Well done.

Sir David Attenbrough

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11634996
VANYA

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert's Website
Re: A very deserved dedication.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 01:36:56 »
I have to agree. I never miss the documentaries and often buy the books to accompany them. An outstanding naturalist and broadcaster. Great name for this ship.

The only thing is, I thought they only named vessels after famous people after they'd died!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
Re: A very deserved dedication.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 02:09:04 »
I think it is more meaningful that Sir David is still with us as he has much to offer with his insight to the effects of human habitation on plant earth and its impending impacts for generations to come.

It is obvious that the current political leaders are just paying lip service to our plants wellbeing but Mr Attenbrough is at the interface between the natural world and human occupation of the plant. There really is no other person that has the historical presence to portray the change in the natural habitat over the last 6o years. Scientist maybe be able to state the facts and figures but Mr Attenbrough has the ablility to convey the true reality to the people on the screen in a means by which people can comprehend.

When Mr Attenbrough addressed the President of the United States on the state of the world natural habitiat, I think this indicates the magnitute of his knowlendge. I cannot reacall anyone who has this indepth knowledge of where we are headed.

Can you?

I have grown up with Sir David as an author and commentator of the natural world during my time alive and see him as more than worthy of this honour.

Our  Queen, Queen Elizabeth II also is also with us and a fine ship she had named after her too. 

Two fine people in their own right if I may say so.

VANYA