Author Topic: New Build, Truckable Tow Boat  (Read 3478 times)

seahunt56

New Build, Truckable Tow Boat
« on: May 30, 2016, 07:51:33 »
Hi Everyone,   New guy here to the forum with a new build.  I have always liked tugboats.  Its the combination of a boat with tons or power, and the ability to push or pull something.
Here on Marco Island there are a number of small tugs pushing barges with cranes on them, doing repairs on seawalls or building docks.  I have decided I need one, even if it is a small one.  Going to try to attach a few pictures of my Truckable.

It will have a single motor with a kort nozzle.  I know a tug this size would not have a kort, but I just think they are cool.   Steve

essexbill

Re: New Build, Truckable Tow Boat
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 00:42:46 »
Be great to see the progress you have been making

seahunt56

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 08:19:54 »
I have actually started a new hull.  Got ahead of myself before the kort nozzle and motor arrived and found out there was not enough room under the hull to fit the kort properly. 
Same style of tow boat, just a bit longer, wider, and deeper.  Will get some pictures herder asap.

essexbill

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:34:05 »
I started mine late summer last year but not having a shed it all has to be done on the dinning room table, other projects and life have taken over a bit, dug the hull out of the shed weekend. Like you I will try and post pics later this week.

west coast tug

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 19:58:33 »
On this side of the big pond we call this a Springer Tug boat that's if its 18" long X 8" wide,max 6 Volts, 1.5" propeller 3 blade only, Rudder no bigger that 4 square inches. Anything above the water is up to the designer to figure out with imagination.

It was made up to be a competitive class of tug that was cheap to make .
In the Early Day's of the Foss Cup Seattle WA. USA
Dave Springer had a thought for a cheap class of tug , He could not compete with the big expensive model tugs of the time  .
One of these little units won the event a few years ago.
Gary

seahunt56

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 14:48:21 »
Yeah, I read that somewhere here about the springers.   Mine is a truckable.  I could not find a place that fit this style of tug.  On Marco Island, the seawall repair companies have small tugs to move around there barges with cranes on them.  Saw one a while back with the raised pilot house like I am building.  thought it was pretty cool looking.  Looked at a few pictures on google search and came up with my own design.   Be it right or wrong, I think it is looking cool.

seahunt56

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 10:40:00 »
Well, I have been working off and on the NEW new build.  Started a second hull that is a bit bigger and deeper then the first.  More room for everything.  Need to order the universal joint, stuffing box, and prop for the kort nozzle now. 

seahunt56

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 10:50:34 »
A few more pictures.  Have the exhaust stack made, and cooling wrap for the motor. Double wrap of flex copper.
 Found a little 12 volt pump on ebay that is only about 1 1/2" square.  Hoping to be able to run is on 6 volt, which is what the motor is. 
 Push knees are made and I found a couple old RC tires that I can cut up and add to the front of each one. 
 Now I need to work on the pilot house and ladder. 

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 14:03:15 »
Looking good. Will you make a barge to go with it?

seahunt56

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 14:56:06 »
Sure, that would be the next build.  Maybe with a crane on it or some construction stuff.
I have been watching some videos on you tube and I am very much into the scale look.  The motor I have only turns 1500 rpm.  I want to try to get it to go more of a scale speed.  The videos I have seen, the tugs are going to fast for what they are.  Going to add as much weight as I can to get it to sit in the water right, and keep the scale speed.   I have a 40 mm nozzle, so the prop is going to have to work to make the tug move.