Author Topic: Danube V  (Read 1037 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
Danube V
« on: June 14, 2016, 18:23:31 »
Can anyone provide me with any drawings for the tug, Danube V; or provide info as to where I might find such.

Toby

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Danube V
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 22:44:10 »
Two build blogs here.  http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=5965.msg73562#msg73562

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=5097.msg64145#msg64145

When I researched these tugs to build them plans apart from that line drawing that I sent you were like rocking horse poo, non existent .
So I drew my own from photos and the line sketch , the photos on the build blogs should be a great help as well .
The real tugs all went for razor blades in the 1960s

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 23:01:12 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 06:30:29 »
 Thank you George B,

I thought likely to be the case but, just on an off - chance that a stash of plans had been found, I thought I may as well ask.
The National Maritime in Rotterdam did, due to my enquiry about  a certain Rhein tug I am building,  find that although unlisted in the archive, that they had in fact, plans and revisions in a warehouse elsewhere. Just not digitised yet. Still the sheets were fetched and I was allowed access to them and on a day when the archive was not open to the public.  What service and kindness I received! Likely every maritime agency is sitting on valuable information that it doesn't know that it has!
Toby

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 07:15:46 »
You do not get that sort of help in this country much.
A few years ago I was building a tug model  of a tug owned by a company that I worked for,so I wrote and asked for plans , did not even get a reply.
But when I was building an American tug the Miriam Moran.  The parent New York company sent me so many detailed plans ,I could have built a real tug from them, and they even sent me the correct paint for it.
What a difference.
Tugs are for life      George B

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 10:01:47 »
Indeed George but when the differences come along they are more special. Before travelling to the Netherlands i was given a contact number for the person who manages the tug built in 1893 for it is silk staking away!  I 'phoned him and he was so curious as to my interest he invited me to board ship  when in Dordrecht.  I was, of course,  there in a flash combining that and the visit to the museum in Rotterdam.  The museum is a super visit and has myriad boats in its harbour and old cranes etc. One can even arrive at the main by water taxi!