Author Topic: Western Towboat launches new 6000HP tug  (Read 1025 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

Western Towboat launches new 6000HP tug
« on: June 23, 2016, 21:56:59 »
Launched today, new Titan class tug. I had planned to be there at the launch but got bogged down with my own stuff. Big powerful tug!  Power will be two C175 Cats. I believe it will be a tractor as most of their newer boats are. When I started working for WTB in 1981 they had 4 boats, two of them surplus military tugs! Now they have over 20, not sure actually. Company has really grown.

Pix by Ric Shrewsbury

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: Western Towboat launches new 6000HP tug
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:22:37 »
Just guessing, but will probably be used to haul those massive container barges up the inside passage to Alaska.  Their tugs are constantly using that route.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 11:14:43 »
That is their bread and butter work. They also do car barges farther north I think. But they have diversified over the years. A couple years ago they towed an oil rig down from Dutch Harbor with a couple of their bigger boats. They may have something else in mind for this boat, I really don't know.

west coast tug

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 19:23:57 »
Probably the daily run now instead of the weekly.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 22:19:02 »
Yeah, I don't know how many trips a week the do now. They are very busy tugs. I think they have almost built a boat a year since the mid 80's. I last worked there in about 92 or so and they had a slug of them then. The WASP was the first boat they actually had built and she was built in Blaine I think around 1966. Then they built the first Alaska Mariner about 1970, then no new builds until 1984 with the Western Mariner. I made the maiden voyage on her and the new Alaska Mariner a few years later.