Author Topic: Re: Svitzer Laura / Lady Laura  (Read 3868 times)

Kev30

Re: Svitzer Laura / Lady Laura
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:24 »
I was wondering if any member has built or has seen a model of the Svitzer Laura or as she was formerly known when in the ownership of Adsteam and Howard Smith the Lady Laura.
As I've got a hull that Mr Jan Meerbeek used to produce around 10 years ago and I come across an old issue of Model Boats magazine and there was a article on Damens 3111 and Mr Meerbeeks hull and drawings for the tug.
The gentleman also mentioned in the article that it could be used to build the Lady Laura as at the time it was the only Damen 3111 tug in Britain based at Immingham, he included pictures of the full-size tug in dry dock and I just wondered if any model was ever made of the tug?
As Mr Meerbeek originally made the hull and drawings for the Smit Humber / Smit Clyde.

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 14:58:15 »
I've just made a start on my Svitzer Laura model using a hull I bought from Mr Jan Meerbeek which was for a Daman 3111 tug and Mr Meerbeek drew his drawings up for Smit Humber /Clyde but as the Svitzer Laura is based in this country I decided on this tug. There's a few alterations from the Smit design i.e the ladder on the mast has a safety cage round it, the access door on the side is further back and the stern bulwarks are different to the Smit design.
The moulding's that Mr Meerbeek supplied were the hull, superstructure, kort nozzles and the wheelhouse and the drawings for all the tug details/fittings were superbly drawn up giving every detail needed also a CD of the full size Smit tugs in Rotterdam.
The attached photo's are of the tug as it is at the moment and of the two new kort nozzles I made for the model from aluminium the reason I made new ones rather than use the moulded ones supplied was I think I trod on them in my workshop by mistake and split them!!!!   

Regards
Kevin

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 16:01:24 »
Nice work on the nozzles.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 22:38:35 »
Hi Kevin,  just a tip if you are interested. I built the nozzles for one of my tugs also only using black PVC pipe.  I filed out the leading edge of the nozzle to the outside diameter, and on the trailing edge of the nozzle, filed down to the inside diameter.  This gave the nozzles a tapered look.  Can post some pics if you are interested.

Kev30

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:16:02 »
Hi Olscuzbut
Sorry the pictures of my kort nozzles weren't all that good as they are tapered the widest end is 62mm in dia and the narrowest end is 54mm in dia the depth of the nozzle is 27mm with a wall thickness of 2.5mm. I'll be very interested though in seeing your photo's of your kort nozzles. I spoke to a gentleman a few years back who had some lovely kort nozzles on his tug and when I asked him how he produced them he said 2 flowerpots with car-body filler between them to bond the two together and make them solid when reduced to length.

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:26:06 by Kev30 »

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 13:04:48 »
Hi Kevin,  yup, much more descriptive picture.  Looks really good.  Will try to post what I was talking about.

Norm

Kev30

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 15:19:39 »
My Svitzer Laura model had her first water test today after the kort nozzles were fitted yesterday the main reason for the trying the hull out in water was to see what displacement will be needed to bring the model down to the line for where she should be. I was pleasantly surprised for what weight I have to add for being a small model.
The photo shows the hull with a 6 volt jelly cell + 4 D cells on the stern and 18 D cells+ 2 Graupner motors on the bow.

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 04:37:36 »
Svitzer Laura taken at Immingham in Lincolnshire last Friday. The other tug in the photo's is of  the Svitzer Valiant taken on one of the jetties where Svitzer moor their tugs up at Immingham.

Regards
Kevin

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 11:05:46 »
nice photos kev  thanks for shareing :)
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j