Author Topic: Ship's boats  (Read 3187 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
Re: Ship's boats
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 16:47:06 »
Gerhard
Thank you that is a super site for these tugs. I shall have to keep an eye out for some better photos of the early Danube from which a model could be built whilst I am collecting info on the others.  Danube one and two look nice but would need some other photos but presume they would be rare if those on the site are the best they could find of Danube 1 and 2. The ones of five and six are good for the current project.

Thank you

Toby
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:42:53 by Toby »

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:56 »
Hi Toby

I always watch out for the threads and posts I have been writing in. So I can collect the most things in my favorites list, and add some more infos to it. This things also help me finding new projects for my building list, next after the Bison will be a1:50 full scale model of the NORDIC, for that ship I have collected over 200 photos, a lot of pdf files and all the original catalogues I could find about the engines and electronics.
Hope you can find more and better photos from your danube-projects!

Regards
Gerhard

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 02:47:42 »
Nordic. ...is that the 2010 or 2013 vessel?  If that the latter then that is to be about 2m in length.  One large model!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:35:21 by Toby »

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 08:13:37 »
Nordic. ...is that the 2010 or 2013 vessel?  If that the latter then that I'd about 2m in length.  One large model!

Just the 2010 ship, in "my" scale she will be 1,56 meters. See the link: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_(Schiff)
A friend from another forum has worked on that ship, he sent me a lot of photos, but not for use in forums. It will be a long time of work to make her!

Regards
Gerhard

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 09:46:51 »
Dear Gerhard,
A super vessel! Very impressive and it will make a great model. And you have plans drawings etc. Lucky you!

I looked at the photos via the search Nordic schiff and Nordic ship and there are some fantastic photos generally.  Then I came across a few great photos which likely you will have seen but just in case you haven't the link is :

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/auto/notschlepper-nordic-geruestet-fuer-den-ernstfall-1.1077357

I shall be watching the build when you commence it and show us done pictures.

Toby

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 11:09:47 »
Hi Toby

More lucky me....
I also have a goos adress where to buy a 1:200 card model of the ship, and a very good printshop where I let all the cards size up to 1:50. The plans  I get are in 1:75 and they will be sized up to 1:50 measure too. Thank you for the link, there was one photo I did not have before, pic No.: 2 one engine maybe whilst it is mounted.

Regards
Gerhard

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 19:18:39 »
I have noticed in a photograph of the tug, Perseverance, that the hulls of the ship's boats appears to be not white but black over white.

Does anyone know whether the black was just a broad stripe or did it go up to the gunwales. Was the top surface of the frame white? Difficult to tell,  but the black does appear substantial in the photo.

I ask, for I have never seen previously and assumed all ships boats were white all over; well white outside and likely superstructure colour inside.

What was the reason for the Royal Navy to paint the ship's boats in this fashion?

Toby

des

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 22:57:40 »
Hi Toby

Not a good photo really, is it - very grainy.  Are you sure that isn't just a tarp draped over the boat?  After all, it doesn't seem to make sense that a ship's boat- either a work boat or a life boat  - should be painted black;  the whole object is that it should be visible while in the water.  A dark painted boat would be difficult to spot from a ship's deck or wheelhouse in poor visibility.

Des.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 04:33:04 »
Hi Des

The photo is grainy because it is cropped and zoomed in. Even so i think that is it possible to discern a difference of tone between the tarp and the paint of the wooden boat.

Actually Des, I believe that I have just answered one of my questions! SEE the next picture.

So the only question needing to be answered is WHY the upper was painted black .

Clearly another error on most, if not all models of Perseverance (RN tugs?), one assumes.

Toby
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:28:35 by Toby »

des

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 17:54:30 »
Yes, you're right.  There is a tarp draped over the boat, but the upper part of the boat's hull is definitely painted a dark colour - presumably black or very dark grey.

Des.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 23:26:36 »
No thoughts as to why, Des? Any Royal Navy buffs out there know the answer?

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 06:52:35 »
I notice that the tarp cover for the ship's boat is well designed. As to the boat's paint
scheme, it looks to me to be backwards. Dark on top is more difficult to see and the
bottom scuffs and all will show up more on the white color.

I'd be interested in hearing from those in the know, the reasoning for the color choices,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 07:26:53 »
Stealth mode from above and below!!!

FredY

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 08:18:28 »
I have seen boats on RN warships painted dark blue above the waterline and white below, but never seen black painted boats.  As for tugs, the Mersey tugs boats were all white and Rea tugs  always painted the inside of the boats with funnel paint which was an orange red colour.  Some tugs had the underside between the chocs painted black because it was hard to sugee under there!
Fred

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 09:07:31 »
Hello Fred,

Thank you for contributing to this topic!

Interestingly this tug when built was destined for Tanganyika and on completion arrived there in 1931. However it came about, and for whatever reason, the Admiralty /Royal Navy purchased the tug in 1932, re-named it, Perseverance, and based it at Chatham Dockyard.

I am interested to learn of this trait of Royal Navy ship's boats being painted blue over white;  might you be suggesting that the ship's boats on this RN tug be rather likewise painted than black. It could well be, for until such can be clarified from the B&W photo my suggestion of black over white was a presumption that likely the photo was indicating black.

Perhaps others may be prompted to share their knowledge.

I have heard too that the inside of ship's boats was painted superstructure/funnel colour.

Toby
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:12:17 by Toby »