Author Topic: Hikurangi Classic 1960s Wooden Tug  (Read 5714 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
Re: Hikurangi Classic 1960s Wooden Tug
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 19:04:03 »
The roof is 3 layers of 0.8mm ply formed into a curve the same way as with the rubbing strips.
Starting to look like a boat now.

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 01:17:11 »
Hi Steve

Great little tug! Keep on going with her, your admiral will never discover what your doin`.....

Regards
Gerhard

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 14:02:04 »
Still no sign of the propellor.
In the meantime I managed to get a few layers of stain and varnish onto the superstructure, and add a few details to the wheelhouse and engine room access hatch.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 14:06:08 »
My trusty old camera suddenly bit the dust the other day and I haven't come to terms with the replacement yet. The images just don't seem to be as good but you can get the idea.
Basic structure is laser cut ply with styrene and brass details.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:33:17 by sea monkey »

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 23:02:29 »
Hi Steve

Your report will be a good advice for my try on that ship! Thank you for sharing!

Regards
Gerhard

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2016, 22:11:31 »
Not much progress this week. Still waiting for the prop.
I ordered it, along with another, from Westbourne Models in the UK in Sept. Two props did arrive but they were completely the wrong size and both only 3 bladed. Sent them straight back, emailed many times, left phone messages but no reply after 6 weeks. Impossible to reach them by phone, the website email contact doesn't work. Very frustrating.
I found quite a few bad reviews online all similar stories to mine. They get less than 1 out of 5 stars from customers. Looks like I've just become another statistic. Don't know how they stay in business.
When I realised that the props were never going to turn up I ordered 2 replacements from Cornwall Model Boats. Heard back immediately and they should be here any day.
I can't do any more to the hull until the prop arrives so in the meantimeI've been assembling some of the other items.
The tow hook is made up from components that I had brass etched. The brass is only 0.7mm thick so some of the pieces are several layers sandwiched together and soldered. The bar is styrene and the spring is some very soft, malleable brass wire, formed by wrapping it around a small brass rod.
The hook on Hikurangi is quite small and complex and took much longer than I had planned. I had to go out and buy a pair of really strong reading glasses. Can hardly see at night these days. Next time I'll use 1mm brass and save some of the work or even better, get them 3D printed. Also managed to cook my old faithful soldering iron and got a new 45w version. Probably too powerful for this type of work so I may get a smaller 25w for the fine work.
Still need to clean up the hook mechanism with a smaller file (in the mail also). It looks a bit rough in these photos but they are way larger than real life you'll never get up that close, and a coat of paint should hide a lot of sins.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 22:40:05 by sea monkey »

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 07:22:52 »
Hi Steve

Nice work on that hook! I use a 30Watts soldering iron for all the soldering work I have to do on my models, from electric/electronics up to soldering railings and props. Here for an example the props from my Bison tug.

Regards
Gerhard

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 15:22:16 »
Not too much progress lately but I have a bit of spare time coming up and I'll try to get this finished before Christmas.
I've completed the hull. The prop arrived the day after my last post, painted the hull and added the 'teak' capping rails.
The combination of warm white hull, red oxide, black boot strap line and teak looks good.
The strap line was more difficult than I had imagined. Viewed from the side the top and bottom of the line are parallel but when it runs around the undercut of the stern it is much more complex and flares out. Had to upgrade the reading glasses for that one!
Turned out OK.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 15:29:32 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 15:27:21 »
I did the deck 'teak' as a very diluted wash of a very warm grey (added yellow). This allowed the laser etched decking lines to show through.
The inside of the bulwarks and the steps are the same pale warm grey colour but look quite different in these photos for some reason. Anyway the colours work well together.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 19:12:27 »
Perfect color for new teak! Nice!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 11:43:47 »
It's a lot greyer in real life. These photos make it seem much more yellow/brown must be the flash.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2016, 14:40:25 »
The funnel started out as a laser cut frame that was then packed out with balsa.
This was sanded down until I was happy with the basic shape and then skinned with 2 layers of the thinnest styrene I could find. The flange, bolts, vents and bulge are all styrene.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 14:42:40 »
... and painted.
A couple of coats sprayed on and it's almost ready.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 02:55:01 »
Exhibition quality there Steve. Exhibiton quality!
VANYA

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:53 »
Very neat,looking good.
john b