Author Topic: Hikurangi Classic 1960s Wooden Tug  (Read 9536 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Hikurangi Classic 1960s Wooden Tug
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 15:56:27 »
Thanks John. Thanks Hayden.
Can see light at the end of the tunnel now and things are starting to fall into place quite quickly.
Glazed the windows without too much bother that part can be a nightmare if it goes wrong, and was able to knock out the railings in an afternoon. I had thought that they would take longer but they came together pretty easily, considering the complex form of the top rail. They are brass rod, soldered and filed clean.
All painted and glued into position, so the cabin is stating to look the part.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 15:57:35 »
Still deciding whether to put the canvas siding onto the flying bridge railing. Tending towards yes at the moment.
The grab rails on the real boat are stainless steel but I've upgraded my Hikurangi to polished brass. She deserves it and it goes well with the polished teak.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 16:00:01 »
Lots of touching up and tweaking left to do. I spotted a few dust fingerprints in the last batch of photos that need to be cleaned up.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 17:09:42 »
I've finally got the little Hik back on the bench after 15 months of languishing in a cupboard.
Didn't take too long to get back up to speed, once I had figured out what was left to finish.
The ventilators were printed at Shapeways - turned out alright.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 17:26:04 »
I started working through the 'box of bits', glueing on the last remaining items, and re-aquainting myself with the model.
This is where I'm at now. I had forgotten what nice lines the boat has. It really is a good looking hull design.
Still need to rig the derrick, and the fenders are looming as a major task.
I had initially thought that they were rubber but on closer inspection of the the old photos, they are rope. There are several places that sell model rope fenders but not small enough for 1/50. I experimented with a couple of ways of representing them but nothing looked even remotely decent. Looks like I'll have to make them in the traditional way thousands of tiny hitches.
That should push the eyesight to the limit.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 12:02:48 »
There hasn't been any activity on the forum for over a week that's probably a record and not in a good way! Not sure why, maybe the weather in the northern hemisphere. We are having an extended period of summer down here so that might explain a few MIA in this neck of the woods.

Don't feel shy guys. Any comments on any threads are welcome. How about a few of you guest signing up and joining the conversation. We are always wanting to see photos of other peoples' models. Give it a crack, we don't bite.

In the meantime, not much movement on the Hikurangi but here are a few more photos of the progress over the past few days.This boat has a few quirky little things about it the life buoy brackets are carved from wood, the towing bitt is made from laminated timber.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:20:05 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2018, 12:07:19 »
Most of the deck equipment is in place, although some of it needs a spot of paint e.g: latch and sliding rails on the rear hatch.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2018, 12:15:05 »
...and the bow. The windlass and chain attached. Now I need to sort out the railing around the bow. It's wire rather than tubing (as on the flying bridge). Also need to decide whether or not to have the canvas sides on the flying bridge. I've made them but can't decide if I like them or not.

That's all for today, I look forward to seeing some of you guests and your models. As I said before everyone welcome.
Steve