Author Topic: Bison, 1973, Kremer Werft 1:50  (Read 4722 times)

Gerhardvienna

Bison, 1973, Kremer Werft 1:50
« on: September 27, 2016, 06:41:37 »
Hi again
So here I start with the building report to my model of the tow-and anchor handling tug Bison. The ship was built in 1973, and is sailing now as "Sea Dianmond V" . The Bison was full overhauled in 2002, some changes were made, the mast is a bit different to the firs version, theboats were changed, and even the coluors are other than original.
I build the old version, as to see in the picture http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=52748# .
The build started 3 years ago, some other projects took time, but I`m now about to do the last stages to colmplete this model. So the next posts will be reports from what I`ve done so far, until we can come to present.
I always start with some of the decks houses, first to make was the wheelhouse, and the cabin below. I used 1,5mm plywood for most of the houses, the instruments are lighted with SMD-LED`s.

Regards
Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

Re: Bison, 1973, Kremer Werft 1:50
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 06:49:32 »
Here come the next pics of what I`ve done so long ago. All parts are made in my own shop, no "ready to assembly" stuff on this boat!

Regards
Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:44:28 »
Even the main winch and the small vertical is ready. Both have small electric motors built in, so they can be made working, if I want that.
Regards
Gerhard
to be continued....

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:40:49 »
Thank you for sharing your new build Gerhard. It's refreshing for me to learn a new
way of approaching my building. For example, your making the superstructure first
never occurred to me. And, your working winch is really nice. How can a builder get
one of them?

Keep the sharings coming, a pleasure to study them,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:24:48 »
Hi Michael

All I show at the moment is what I`ve done about 3 years ago. the newer stuff will come later, but there is a lot more of the older things to come.
The winches are just drawn out of the plan sheets, and built after that and some photos of similar winches from the internet. The motors came from an old outsorted toy for the main winch, and an old casette walkman for the vertical winch, both are 3 volt units. The side discs were turned on my lathe, and the ropes are from transport palettes. I could make those winches anytime, but would need more infos about the exact measures (METRIC!) or the type of winch. I`ve collected a lot of photos from all kinds of  main winches, including measurements and original drawings, all that helps me to build as close to the original thing as possible. But building one will take time, I dont like to build too fast!

Regards
Gerhard

PS.: more from the Bison will come!

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:11:42 »
And the next pics from what was build so long ago..............
The first photo shows the inside of the cabin, with beds, table and seats
the second shows a general view of the superstructure in its first apperance. I had to change coluors, all yellow parts are repainted to white as the original parts was.
The last photo shows the cabin and wheelhouse, with the new white painted mast and boat cranes. The mast was soldered from 4 mm brass tube, took me some hours to bring it all into shape!

Regards
Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:29:32 »
As there were some requests about the main winch, here come more photos from that build. I used some geared wheels from old toys, some pieces from plywood between 1,5 and 4mm, and a sheet of 0,5mm brass. The drums are made from ruond turned PVC and 1,5mm plywood. The axles are made from 3 mm Brass, some coils springs are used for the band break.
Sorry that I can only show 3 pics per post, so I will have to post that in parts.
Regards
Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 08:32:38 »
Most parts of the winch were painted in silk black, the last pic gives a view of the front side. This side will look to the stern when the winch is set to the deck.
Regards
Gerhard

PS.: At the moment I cannot show any photos, the server always kicks me out when I try!

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 00:26:11 »
Here come the next pics from the main winch, as I hope...
Did not work, do I have restriction to post only 1 pic at the post???
Regards
Gerhard

2tugboats

• Two Tugboats
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 19:00:22 »
I don't know of any restrictions on the number of photos we can post, Gerhard. There have been
picture posting issues in the past. As soon as the administrator is aware of the problem, he has
resolved the malfunction. Personally, I don't want anything to interfere with your posting valuable
illustrations of, for example, how you designed and made an impressive working winch from found
objects for our tugboats; . . .priceless.

I have never had a problem posting pictures, lucky me. A few times in the past, others have
experienced nightmares trying to post pictures. Does anyone here on the Forum know if there
were just mistakes to posting or if there was something wrong with the "operation program".

I'll write the administrator and report your problem Gerhard, don't give up - please.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

2tugboats

• Two Tugboats
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 19:11:05 »
In February of 2015, Des wrote this information about trouble posting to Fastfaz.

Posting of photos is one of the issues that the TugMaster has been working on, and
seems to have fixed for most of us.  If you are still having issues you can email him
with the details to get it fixed.  But before doing so, check a couple of things yourself first -

Try inserting the photo file directly into your post from your computer - don't make things
more complicated than they need to be by using "PhotoBucket" or similar on-line services.

If you get a security warning, you may need to re-size your photo.  Copy the photo file into
Paint (or similar) and "SaveAs" with a smaller file size.  I have found that this usually works
for me.

Finally, for future photo posts, you may find it easier to set your camera resolution to
a lower setting.

Des.

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 22:49:24 »
..........................don't give up - please.
Michael

I NEVER will!!
But I had to convert all the pics to a bit smaller, so i hope it will work fine now. And then there was a lot of thinking how to drive this ship, fuelers will not be allowed at "my" pond, and normal electric motors would not have the sound I want.  I found something,  we`ll see in the future if that works.
So next things to make was the frames and hull, I always build a common plank on frame hull. The frames were made from 4 mm plywood, the planks are cut from 2 mm balsa wood. The stern is made from horizontal built in plywood frames, and grinded to shape.

Regards
Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 04:03:09 »
Next to complete the hull was the front. I used for the front end plywood as I did at the stern, cut single frames and glued them to the keel. After all frames were set into place, I grinded all to final shape.

Regards
Gerhard

2tugboats

• Two Tugboats
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 17:50:06 »
Good pictures Gerhard. It is with pleasure as I check them out. I have built 5 tugboats,
that I roughly" put together like you have. The pleasure part for me is to see how you
didn't skimp on the frame supports. Your hull won't "potato chip" on you. And I have
ground, sanded, filed, and sanded many bows and sterns and so it was nice to see your
work and I didn't have to do it. Very nice workmanship.

Thank you for sharing and handing out inspiration here on the Forum Gerhard,
Michael

Here is what can happen when the frames are not secure prior to planking your hull.

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 00:57:25 »
Here is what can happen when the frames are not secure prior to planking your hull.

Hi Michael

That really hurts!!
And that`s the reason why I always complete the hull first, and then cut the stands away. After planking the hull was fillered with filler paste, then I laminated the hull with two layers of fibre and epoxy. You can see the green/white filler can in the background at the first pic. After filling all was sanded to a smooth surface. The frames extensions are still all here at this stage.

Regards
Gerhard