Author Topic: Bison, 1973, Kremer Werft 1:50  (Read 4724 times)

Gerhardvienna

Re: Bison, 1973, Kremer Werft 1:50
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 09:42:53 »
Hi again

After buildung the hull, i made the towing hook. It is working, the thread at the stand will be connected to a small servo that will move the hook.

Regards
Gerhard

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 08:14:22 »
Very nice and interesting work, Gerhard. I like the mention of the "small servo".

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 08:57:56 »
Very nice and interesting work, Gerhard. I like the mention of the "small servo".

Michael

Hi Michael

It wont use a big one to move that small hook.
Next to do were the kort nozzles and their holders. The holders are simply soldered items, more work was to do for the nozzles. I used 1 mm balsa wood stripes, bend that around a small plastic can with a large amount of glue and let that dry over night. The next day the raw nozzles were taken from the cans and turned to shape. A lathe is a big helper for that!
After grinding the nozzles were fillered and smoothened.
here come the first pics.
The first shows the nozzle bend around the can, the second the raw form of the nozzle, and the third pic shows one grinded and fillered nozzle.

Regards Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 10:43:01 »
The next photos..
The first shows one of the nozzles with the holding core, the next shows one kort nozzle with the holding parts, and th last photo give a good look at the finished korts.

Regards
Gerhard

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 14:37:55 »
Nice work on the nozzles, good thinking.

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 00:59:54 »
Hi sea monkey

Thank you! The nozzles were dernched with epoxy and laminated after they were ready, so they are absolute waterproof!
Next to make were the props, I used brass sheet and different brass parts for them. The blades were cut out from 1 mm sheet metal, all other parts tunred on the lathe, see the potos.

Regards Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 03:06:41 »
The props, part II
First photo: One of the props, blades not bend
Second photo: Blades bend
Third photo: Both props mounted
They fit well into the korts and turn free.

Regards
Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 04:09:07 »
Another thing to do were the rudders, the BISON has Becker - Flaps for steering. The blades are made from Brass, covered with balsa wood and laminated twice, the flaps are working well.

Regards
Gerhard
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:44:15 by Gerhardvienna »

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 10:50:13 »
Hi again

To make a long story short, here comes one photo from the Bison how it appears today. There is still a lot to do, as you can see. I studied a long time what engines I should use for this model, common electric motors will not make the noise I wanted, and IC-Engines are prohibited on "my" pond. After a long extended searching time I found what I was looking for. The Bison will have two solenoid inline 8 cylinder engines. This engines produce the sound I would like to have for the tug! More about that will come soon.

Regards
Gerhard

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 02:24:49 »
As I mentioned above, the Bison will get solenoid engines. This motors are not available by any customer, so I will have to make my own items. The engines will have a similar look to the original units, not the same but very close. The first photo shows a drawing of the motor as it was built for the Bison. The second photo shows the 3D construction as a lines drawing, and the third shows the completed engine as a 3D model. The case will be 3D printed, all other parts will be my own home production, including the solenoids. The engines have 24mm stroke, the solenoids have 6mm dia. pistons. More about the engines in next post!

Regards
Gerhard

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:59 »
Wow, that is dedication!

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 01:59:25 »
Hi Steve

Took me 2 Months before I was ready with this drawings. Lots of hours, and several different versions of that motor were to plan, until I felt comfortable with it. The reason why I want such an engine is simple: All the other guys have sound generators built in, but most of them do not have the sound I wanted. When I listen to a solenoid engine, THAT is sound, even in smallest versions!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBZP6AUOx4

Regards
Gerhard

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 22:52:45 »
Thank you for sharing the "solenoid engine". I learn something new here on the Forum
on a regular basis. You are right Gerhard. . .it does sound like the motor it is. I like it-

Let us know what you come up with, it's very interesting for sure.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 23:57:37 »
Yes I am finding this very interesting, will the engine actually drive the tug?
Tugs are for life      George B

Gerhardvienna

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 01:13:48 »
Hi Michael & Model Tugman

It will take a lot of time until the solenoid engine is working as good as I want it. And I will have to wait for next spring before I can start with the real work on that engines, then I will have my 3D-Printer for all the engine cases. There will be two of that engines, one for each prop to make the driving system close to original, both will be reversable with either gearbox or by arduino engine management. The arduino program is in development by a forum friend in another forum. He will drive a sidewheeler with such an engine! As i meant that all will take some time to make, I will keep all of you informed about done progress! At the time I`m doing the next drawings for the bow thruster case and prop, even they will be 3D printed!

Regards
Gerhard
PS.: Hope that there is no one affected by the NZ quake!!!