Author Topic: Cutting out windows  (Read 1815 times)

patrol rick

Cutting out windows
« on: October 11, 2016, 17:15:44 »
New here and wondering how you cut out house windows. I've read that some are laser cut but am wondering how the average modeler gets such crisp openings and rounded corners.
Thanks!

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Cutting out windows
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 19:06:36 »
Hello Rick. . .good question. I also have noticed the extra fine window cutting work
of the members here. I'll watch the answers right along with you.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:36 »
Hi Rick i draw all the windows drill in each corner then cut along the line.
When they are all looking good i cut out the parts, hope this helps.

regards John B
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:27:44 by tugnut »
john b

des

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 13:23:14 »
Cutting out the holes is the easy bit.  But, rather than what John B suggests, I prefer to drill the corner holes away from the line, then cut slightly inside the line, then finally file down to the line using a round file in the corners.  (I know that railroad modellers often construct their car sides using strip to form the wall bottoms, window mullions, and side tops, thereby ensuring straight and clean window openings, but with square corners.)

Making up the window "glass" is also relatively easy.  I use 1.5mm clear styrene, same thickness as the wheelhouse structure.  Again I cut slightly outside the line, and file down to it.  Then finally file down until the "glass" is a tight push fit into the appropriate hole.

The problem here is that leaves a visible joint between the structure and the "glass".  Of course full size boats don't look like this because they have a thick frame as a glass retainer.  Although I have worked out a method of replicating this frame, it requires square corners, 'cos I haven't worked out how to make the frame with rounded corners.  Any suggestions?

Des.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:45:51 »
Yes just do what John (tugnut) does, cut the inner hole first then cut around to make the frame , easier still if it a wooden surround use thin strip wood.
Tugs are for life      George B

Gabi

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:52:23 »
Hello

Cutting the wheelhouse frames is too difficult, because the remaining plastic is too small.
First,  I build the bottom and the top of the wheelhouse, Small PS stripes were glued on the top and the bottom inside, as reinforcement and than small stripes PS of window frames were glued on reinforcment stripes on the wheelhouse.
The acrylic glas thickness is 1 or 2mm, colour the edge black and stick a white coloured Frame made from labels, cut by very sharp knife, on the glas edge.
The corner is square, but with the label frames on the windows the corner isn't seen.
In Use: - Rotor Tug "Geeste" - ASD-Tug "Fairplay X" - - Voith-Schneider-Tug "Weser" - Harbourtug "Zimbrul", Lifeboat "Vormann Leiss" - Lifeboat "Siegfried Boysen",  under construction: Dregger "Josef Möbius"