Author Topic: old tug  (Read 4519 times)

tubby tomo

old tug
« on: May 29, 2008, 23:55:52 »
hi all,
I'm going back to 1958 when i worked on a tug called the musca owned by gaselee she was a steam tug the tug was knowed as the tower bridge tug mainly used to get craft clear of bridge if needed i know its along shot but does any one remember the tug     ps i allso was on the danube V11 for a short while the tilbury dredging company we towed the barges full of mud called mud hoppers we allways tryed to get in front of the council boats before they let go there smelly load if we dident we had get the hoses out to wash off the decks

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:00:07 by TugMaster »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: old tug
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:50:23 »
HI TOMMO  i have a bit of info on the Musca. She was built by Cochranes of selby in 1922, and cost 7,663  she was 72ft6" long and 18ft7" beam and was of 75 tons. her engine was a twin cyl compound of 380 hp  and she went for scrap in 1957 for 1,850
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:13:33 »
Hi again Ihave posted a couple of pictures of the VII for you
Tugs are for life      George B

tubby tomo

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:12:38 »
hi tugman i must have been a bit younger when i worked on the musca  ;)  another thing that i was thinking of and i hated doing it but as the newest crew member at high tide we had to change sides of the river and i had to lower the funnell not a nice job when its wet and cold         when i was on the danube V!! another bad thing happened to me i was taking the skipper a cup of tea in the wheelhouse as i stepped in the door shut on my little finger ouch the door was not pushed over the ball in the deck still i got out of cleaning the brass port holes for a while as i recall if the water was chope the prop would come out of the water and if you was below deck in the stern everything would jump and shake about   good times :-\