Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 3354 times)

tugboatfred

RMAS Moorhen
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:35:48 »
I'm starting to build the RMAS Moorhen but would like to add a nice crane either static or functional. I have not found adequate plans or preferably a kit for one or a source for a functional one. The Modelslipways version here in the US is no longer available. The Moorhen will be powered by a Voith Schneider unit with a brushless motor from Bauer Modelle in Germany. Very nice looking unit. Placement location in the hull of that single unit advice would also be welcomed. Could someone please bring me some guidance? I would really appreciate that.  :)

Toby

• Site Supporter
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 07:31:19 »
Hello TbF

I am glad that you have posted this question and hopefully it will start the ball rolling on this topic. For me, I am planning to build a model which does have cranes on the deck, even though on one drawing these seem to be absent. However,  photos of yester year unlikethose of today don't lie and cranes are there.   Personally I would like to have operational  rather than static cranes, as it will be a large boat.

Somebody here must have built a working crane which can be scaled up or down and where the cosmetic can be changed about it to suit whichever model is being built.

Toby

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:19:05 »
Welcome to the Forum Fred. Here is a link to a gold mine of inspiration and ideas
for building your RMAS Moorhen.

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=3554.0

We would like to see how you mount your crane and what you decide on. Share your
pictures with us. Don't forget to have a deck "Doubler Plate" for the foundation of your crane.

Good to see you here Fred,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:32:06 »
Hi Fred,  not a working crane, but does swivel and boom extension, was in the same dilemma as you.  Went on line searching for deck cranes and ended up building a variant of all that I searched for. 

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 09:04:49 »
Super!
Thank you for sharing those pictures.
What scale or sizes for that crane?

Just goes to show once again that the members of the mtf have the answer.

I would be interested to learn of the operating mechanism ideas that have been employed. It took a while for me to solve the drop anchor and wind up anchor.  But at least solved if yet could be refined to operate both anchors independently rather then only one. Just a question of making the anchor weighty enough.

T

des

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 13:25:02 »
Check out http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/robbe-cranes.html.  There are other cranes on the CMB website, from other manufacturers.  I am intending to order two off R1485 for the AHTS I am currently building (1:50 scale).

Also, if you are interested in the Model Slipways cranes but can't get them where you are, try sending them an email direct - I have had quotes from them for their deck cranes, tugger winches and double-waterfall main winch, all supplied as kits independent from a boat kit.

Des.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 22:38:36 »
The crane is mounted on my Amsterdam tug and it is 1:50 scale.  Will try to locate a pic of it in building stage to give you an idea of what bits and pieces I used.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 03:24:35 »
Thank you for sharing the pictures . Great.  This is the crane which rotates and lifts. It looks very effective painted up and in situ too.
What is the mechanism you employed beneath decks to operate it.
T
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 16:42:36 by Toby »

tugboatfred

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 05:24:28 »
 Thank you all for caring enough to help. Wonderful bunch of people you are. Model boating is not as popular here as in other countries and to receive this help is just super! I did just now purchase 2 crane kits from Cornwall. Yay!

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 07:03:32 »
Mornin' Toby, as mentioned in my first post, this is not a working crane.  Would be nice if it was, but the logistics for a unit this size are way beyond my abilities.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 07:13:31 »
Well  I see that American tugboat fred has bought two from CMB. Be interesting to see what he thinks and makes of it.
I shall have to see what can be worked out but appreciate that the size is going to make things fiddly.
Toby
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:51:05 by Toby »

tugboatfred

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 04:45:15 »
I was a Manufacturing Engineer for 42 years so enjoy working with 'fiddley' things/
. I have been a model boat model guy for 40 of those years. Some more successful than others but always a hoot to do. I will keep you up to date on any crane assembly process whether successful or failures. Another question I have is I am building the RMAS Moorhen but powering it with a single Voith Schneider unit. I have noted that many use dual units which is not my choice. I had been considering mounting it about one third of the way back from the bow. Would that be an adequate location for it? I have experience with Z drives but not this. It is the brushless powered one from Bauer-Modelle

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 08:50:27 »
That looks an interesting propulsion unit, TBF.

Here is the link I saw:

http://www.bauer-modelle.de/shop/421440/83512/0/voith-schneider-propeller/voith-schneider-propeller-vsp65-bm-set?&wslanguage=en

I assume it is the one.  Did not look at the price.
I have seen this used about well say a third from the bow as a single unit
on a model. If i recall it was a flat-bottomed boat. It is not my thing; yet!? but will be great to see what others say.

If you want info on this perhaps you could begin a new topic with this voith-schneider as the title for some with info or knowhow you are seeking may not look at this topic to do with moorhen.
Likewise might be for more crane input. Not a criticism but a suggestion  to get more replies.

Toby

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 16:25:32 »
Interesting question about the single Voith drive.  Have absolutely no experience with them but was under the impression the reason for two drives was to counteract the touque of one drive plus more pulling power.  Have never seen a single voith drive, but I am sure there are experts on this forum who can give you the right info.  Will be watching.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 16:46:44 »
All eyes on TbF once his gizmo arrives then.
In fact that will be working cranes and the Voith working to look forward too.
T