Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 3349 times)

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 01:06:22 »
Many moons ago we built a Voith Tug (Wellington , New Zealand) with one Graupner Z-Drive located forward.

Went well for the size, very maneauverable, turned on a 5 pence. All this too before micro electronic controllers and way before lithium batteries or 2.4Ghz!

Its sitting on a shelf now in retirement but it does work.
VANYA

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 08:33:46 »
This picture of a single voith tug in dry dock shows how far forward the unit was mounted in the hull.
Tugs are for life      George B

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 11:45:49 »
So you have a dry dock George. What will you surprise us all with next.
How about a close-up of the gizmo George so that tbfred (and I) can see what you did. By the way what is that tiny boat that caught my eye in the background?

Toby.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:48:52 by Toby »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 12:39:40 »
Ha ha Toby I found the picture on google, but the ship in the background was one of the Hoveringham gravel dredgers.
Tugs are for life      George B

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 12:50:54 »
 :)

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 18:28:28 »
Well TbF
You must have received your Voith  by now.  Is it good and are you pleaded and have you fired it to your boat yet.  Don't forget the foties  so we can see what you have done with Moorhen and Voith oh I recall  that you were going to fabricate a working crane.  What has happened there?
T

tugboatfred

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 05:32:02 »
I have 'fiddled' with the crane and got it to work. To rotate (only 90 degrees) I used a servo hooked up to a Turnigy servo speed regulator. It rotates very smooth. The raising of the gib is also done with a servo and I modified another servo so it rotates 360 degrees for the hook . I have attached some pictures.
I had an issue with the VSP unit leaking. The rubber like putty they supply to seal the unit to the base ring gave me a problem. It needs to be rolled into a diameter of 1.5 mm and to do that and get a consistent diameter was difficult for me and I had leaks. I contacted them about my problem and I must tell you they have a superb customer service! They have been helping me consistently, even over the weekend. I highly recommend them and their fine products. They are sending me a replacement putty cord free of charge even though they were not at fault. They just want a satisfied customer. Very refreshing in todays market.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:55 »
Hey tbF

Great crane job! ! Glad you had success in fabricating and making this static crane kit operational and thanks too for supplying the super photos of the secrets to your success. Looks very effective and will add fun and activity when playing with the boat at the pond or wherever you sail.

The cable for the hook  looks like cable,  but can it be, or is it some other look alike thread instead.   Do I presume that you weighted the hook end somehow, or is the hook heavy enough?

How well does it raise and lower?
You say the movement is smooth and I am sure that it is but I have noticed on some YouTube videos that the hook end swings about a lot. Did you have this problem or did you pre-solve it with weight at the hook end, so that not only did it help the drop of the hook when lowering but also to reduce the swaying.
Perhaps the method is to make heavy, the object being lifted. In one video a container was being lifted from ship to shore and it swung about as though the slightest breath would make it sway. Spoiled the effect.

VSP  ?

Ah silly me I have just read through the thread again. I forgot that there are two subjects in this thread.  This is the vertical propeller gadget? You had problems?

Well I am glad you sorted them for it is certainly a very expensive unit here whether obtainable in or . Almost 200. No; more than, with the postage.
Good to read that there is at leat one honorable and customer focused company in existence who guard their name and want to help the customer in being satisfied with the product.

I have never seen a vsp in real life,  not a model or full-size. Still it looks fun. 

Have you learned how to steer the thing yet now you have it in your hull?  ...how many scrapes have you put in the bottom or side of the bath during your private practising...:)....:')

I hope we will see some photos of the VSP  and it situated on your boat. 

Looking back through the thread I note that you were wondering where to position the vsp. What did you opt for in the end?  I had thought about one third.  What did your research recommend and what did you decide upon. Perhaps you could start a new topic on the forum about this gadget and subject and share your photos and insight.

Some may not see what you have said about it under this topic entitled Moorhen. May be others would be interested or could share. Likely many would like to see results of others before embarking on a similar project with this type of prop. I could not believe I was unknowing of this prop type, considering that it was a concept developed ages ago.

Thanks tbF for sharing.
Get that new topic started and don't forget the photos for us. Looks as though you will have to lead the way on this one.

Perhaps a list of full-size tugs using this could be found. I would think that there must be many tugs using this and its upgrades today all over the world.

Toby

tugboatfred

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 11:14:40 »
Hi Toby!
The cable is a silver colored Nylon commercial sewing thread. I thought it would good and as you stated, it does! As for the hook, I bought some fishing line lead weights, the kind you pinch onto the line. I cut one in half and glued one to each side of the hook.
The rotation is so smooth that the hook does not swing and partly because of the servo speed regulator I use for that. Man, I wish I could post a video of it here.
I did have a leaking problem between the mount ring and drive unit. They supplied a rubbery type of putty length that I was supposed to hand roll to a 1.5 mm diameter. Very difficult to do and get a consistent diameter. I installed it but no matter what I did, I had leaks.
I then Fredernized things and got a length of .070 inch diameter rubber of 70 Durometer, cut it to length, butt joined the ends with a waterproof and flexible adhesive used for foam adhesive, applied a thin film of Silicone grease to the mount ring. I put the rubber ring onto the mount ring and let the adhesive cure. Then a thin film of silicone grease (using a foam swab)onto the drive unit as well and Viola!, no more leaks! Yay!
I tried it in the tub at a a low speed and I'm excited. It will take practise though to control it well but that is part of the fun.
I will take your suggestion to heart and see if I can put the VSP info on another topic.
Thanks for your great and supportive reply. Have a Very Merry Christmas!
Oh and here are 2 pictures of the VSP mounted in my Fredernized, Moorhen hull. :)

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 12:46:18 »
Great stuff tbFred!!

The vsp in situ is great. Doesn't it look impressive! Reminds me of my first driving of a steam loco and my first sight of a working beam engine and that behind a couple of levers one has an inherent sense of power of a thing even before the actual tremendous power comes into action.  One does not get this from an automobile engine. It lacks presence.

I bet you are exited! We all would be I feel sure.  Perhaps you shall have to put forward the idea of clips being possible via that section of the forum which may find the website administrator.  Or put a clip on YouTube and inform us of the link. 

Like the thought of Fredernizing, it conjures up all sorts of adaptions and improvements.  Good for you!

I shall see what thread we have available here for the crane.

This wonderful time of Advent and then Christmas. Have a blessed Christmas yourself.

Toby

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 13:28:13 by Toby »

tugboatfred

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 13:37:24 »
Thanks Toby! You sure are an encouragement!

Fred

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 13:45:20 »
I forgot to mention that I noticed all the woodwork. Certainly looks good and solid. Should keep everything true. 

Have you built a protective frame for your vsp? Don't forget to do that if you have not done so already.
T

tugboatfred

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 15:00:39 »
Yes, I have. I had seen some videos of VSP units and they had them so I made mine and it is attached to the hull wood inside too nice and sturdy.
I do appreciate you suggestions though. Thank you!
Fred

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 15:37:58 »
We look forward to the action and videos in due course.  Certainly looks a good protection plate on that neat hull.

T

tugboatfred

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 15:45:20 »
Thank you! Will try to get you videos in time.
If you are familiar with the Moorhen plans, you see that there are some steps on the front of the bow. I did not want to spend a lot of time making those so I got a 1/2 inch wide piece of black ABS and machined it. Need to add some details but it came out satisfactorily for me anyway.