Author Topic: anchors making heavy/lead  (Read 1118 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
anchors making heavy/lead
« on: November 16, 2016, 09:15:14 »
As I would like to make the anchor operation workable I believe that I shall need an anchor with suitable weight to enable freefall on the release of the winch.
I have bought some anchors which stated brass but are in fact light cheapo metal with a brass/gold coating.  Clearly these may not be heavy enough to create the inertia needed to make the chain floe and thus the anchor drop by gravity.

I have bought some rings and red sand and thought of creating a mould using the anchors bought and then pouring lead into the mould to create some heavier anchors.

Has anyone cast any anchors for operational use or does anyone have different tips on achieving the freefall effect of the anchor.

I cannot be the first to desire this on a boat. The boat is 1:25 but the anchor is not over large bit typical Halls anchor type which may weigh. 14g.

Toby

des

Re: anchors making heavy/lead
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 13:32:25 »
Unfortunately Toby, I don't think you are going to achieve what you are looking for, 'cos your anchor (at 1/25 scale) will weigh only 0.0064% that of a "real" one.  You simply won't be able to get enough weight on the end of the chain to get it to run freely off the windlass.  But, you may be able to power it down if you use a reversible ESC on your windlass motor.

Des.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 15:44:00 »
Thanks for your input Des.   :( oh dear then.
I will continue to experiment to check weight and mechanism once I have the deck finished and the Windlass fitted.

Toby

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 17:28:19 »
Hello Toby;I have a pair of stockless anchors that are solid brass and weigh-in at a hefty 45 grams.
I found them in India last year via EBay. They are available if you are interested.

They may be a size larger for your 1/25th scale but then, a hair bit bigger anchor is OK
around these parts.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 17:39:12 »
Hello Michael
Thank you for your post and picture.
Are these 45g each or is that weight for the pair.
Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 17:55:05 »
So about 1 inch wide. I don't think that is too big. But as I say will check the boat measurement when I get back home.

Toby

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 18:06:55 »
They weigh 45 grams each and are 1 3/8 inches wide Toby. I have two
pairs of them so don't hurry home, they will be well and warm on my
desk here. Trave safely my friend.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 18:14:46 »
Thank you Michael.

Will be in touch. Hope to see the old boats on the River Spree.

Toby

Adam66

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:31 »
Unfortunately Toby, I don't think you are going to achieve what you are looking for, 'cos your anchor (at 1/25 scale) will weigh only 0.0064% that of a "real" one.  You simply won't be able to get enough weight on the end of the chain to get it to run freely off the windlass.
No problem, on my Smit Kamara in 1:50 it also works....
https://youtu.be/PxI5kYxu9mw

https://youtu.be/AoWoq5fD7r4

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 13:19:25 »
Great. I will let you know the outcome when I return to the Danube build for I am trying to complete the Imara / Perseverance build at the moment.
Free fall then winch up looks good.  MGS/MGC ideas are effective.

The anchors from Michael are super.  Now to find some for the 1/32 Perseverance