Author Topic: Imara /Perseverance new thread 2016  (Read 5983 times)

C-10

Re: Imara /Perseverance new thread 2016
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2017, 09:18:23 »

Hi ..... I think there are a couple of points that you should note if your planning an authentic scale model.

1- ditch the white metal fittings for the davits as they are completely wrong  -  this can be seen on your photo`s where the pivot point is half way             down the lower super structure  --  see my post in Making Fenders, also on the top photo in the batch of 3.

2 - there were vertical deadlights that slid upwards in vertical channels to cover the fo'ward mess and galley ports/ windows.I think she was built to operate out of Mombasa where the waters were a wee bit choppy.

3 - under/close to the stern bow there's a white??? box that possibly contained a light for night operations during the war.

I`ll post some photo's showing my interpretation of the Davits.

The  higher res RNM photo and a magnifying glass  is a great help.

hope this helps ---------- pompyboy.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 10:58:06 »
Hello Pompyboy,

Thank you for your posting!  Very interesting, for I had not started looking at the davits yet. I am busy moving Panama ports  and wash ports plating the deck and trying to work out whether the drawing or the printed sheet of deck is correct,  albeit I shall be planking as well as adding bulwark join plates for it seems strange to have rivets on the outside which appear due to lack of plate not to be riveting anything.

Did you put the heavy chunk of white metal on top of the funnel? I was considering coating it in resin to make a lighter cast of the item before making the fancy top cage.

When I return home I shall look at the photos and see if the resolution can be bettered. Which photo is the RNM to which you refer?

Would like to talk with you if agreeable.  I could send a PM with 'phone number.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 15:10:05 »
I have not been able to find your postings that you cite above.  I have searched via C-10 and fender.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2017, 02:48:03 »
In this photo of Perseverance I am curious to know as to what they are doing with the ladder and why the lifeboats are 'black' or dark blue above the waterline and white below.  Seems strange but perhaps some of you would care to explain the practice of this apparent reversal.  In another photo of the starboard side the ship's boat is painted likewise.

Toby
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:42:39 by Toby »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2017, 05:00:43 »
Hello Toby.  The ladder would have been used to get aboard ships from the tug, and the lifeboats were sometimes painted like that on R N yard craft.
Tugs are for life      George B

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2017, 07:54:25 »
George glad to hear from you!

Would the dark colour be black? Would the boat inners be wood and varnish or all painted; if painted what colour.

There is a coloured band around the funnel just below the black top portion,  I noticed in the photos I am collecting and am led to believe that such bands signified something along the lines of the tug's  use/status/or to which naval department it was allocated. If this be correct can any one tell me what colour meant what and in this case what colour it ought to be on Perseverance. No colour photo as yet found.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 19:26:35 »
I now have two excellent starboard photographs and two quite good port views.

Today I am off to RMG to have a look at whatever 1:48 plans they have for this tug, whether it be in its Imara guise or as such but marked-up by the Admiralty for how it was required to be as Perseverance.

I shall let you know what,  if anything,  I glean from my visit when comparing kit parts,  photos and plans. I shall mark- up the drawings accordingly and perhaps will be able to create a useful file for the benefit of other modellers.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:17 »
IS THERE A PHOTOGRAPH OF IMARA? HAS ANYONE SEEN OR DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IMAGE OF THIS TUG WHEN BUILT AND SOLD AS IMARA?

I have now acquired some very good photos of the tug as Perseverance taken at various times. They are not easy to find or to buy and yet can obviously be found with some considerable effort. 

Then it dawned on me that if this tug is a popular model as Imara where is the photographic or drawn evidence for the details about this tug?

I have actually now seen the original plans for the tug. The tug plans are dated with the F@F shipbuilders cachet and dated as well as a cachet for Chatham Dockyard.  The plans are clearly Imara and the name is printed large but crossed out in pencil and substituted with the name PERSEVERANCE.  There is pencil notation about the stern written by an Admiralty official.

There are six sheets but for models only two of these are needed. The drawings are of 1:48 scale and very clear crisp drawings.

I took with me a reduced version of the model plan copied on to a large
 tracing  sheet so that I could overlay this on top of the original plan for ease of comparison.

The people at the archive in Woolwich are very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and a large desk was available as was ruler and pepper weighted strips to hold plan edges. 
Viewing is available between 10-13.00 and 14 -17.00 by appointment.
Immediately in the vicinity are three very pleasant eateries and watering holes and an easy walk to the River.
The nearest station is Woolwich Arsenal.

Continue this in new thread:

RESEARCHING IMARA/PERSEVERANCE 2017 GREENWICH ARCHIVE
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 18:26:49 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 17:04:45 »
Ditching the kit version and quickly building new. Only took an evening of careful veneer cutting so that the grain was going in the correct direction for each piece. I need to organise the hinges for the doors and these doors open back to 270 according to the photograph of Perseverance. Yet to paint the roof and attach the side frame with the skylight.

Toby
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 17:14:12 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 17:09:25 »
Close-up and doors complete with keep on one door. Anyone any further ideas on hinges before I have to try and make an identical quartet.  3mm  max would be about scale , I think.  Working hinges.

Toby

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 17:17:50 by Toby »